No announcement yet.

Arch Linux's Archinstall 2.5 Released With FIDO2 Support, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux's Archinstall 2.5 Released With FIDO2 Support, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Arch Linux's Archinstall 2.5 Released With FIDO2 Support, Other Improvements

Just in time for Arch Linux's June 2022 monthly ISO refresh, Archinstall 2.5 was released today as the newest version of this text-based Arch Linux installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Translations are also being added, which is never mentioned in the "changes".

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post
      Translations are also being added, which is never mentioned in the "changes".
      WTF!?

From the article:

Archinstall 2.5 also brings a new disk preview to the main menu, a user preview has been added to the main menu, improved user management, various new Archinstall APIs, updated translations, and other enhancements.
      About a half an inch from that paragraph is a link to the git change log that thanks every single translator by name.

Comment

Anyone know if arch is capable of unlocking the harddisk with a TOTP code?
        Edit: Any suggested programs to achieve this (if they exist)?

Comment

Originally posted by loligans View Post
          There are modules for PAM, but I guess that only works after switching to rootfs (so for home encryption).

Comment

They should add f2fs compression as option during formatting partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

WTF!?

From the article:

About a half an inch from that paragraph is a link to the git change log that thanks every single translator by name.
              My bad...

Comment

Originally posted by loligans View Post
                That's not really possible unless you have that support in hardware. TOTP is for validation only, as it doesn't resolve to any key material that could be used for decryption. If your TPM was programmable or had that feature, it could basically protect the key in a logical way (vs a cryptographic way). But I am not aware of such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post

My bad...
                  In all fairness, Phoronix could use an editor. For example, I think your issue would have been solve by putting all the new features in a list instead of in paragraph form. It also doesn't help that Michael has a unique writing style that tends to add extra words which can make articles harder to decipher at times.

Archinstall debuted on the Arch Linux ISO last year and since then has been seeing steady improvements for those wanting to dramatically shorten the time needed to install Arch Linux otherwise while also having some sane defaults and getting the Arch Linux install going rather seamlessly like conventional Linux distribution installs.
                  Take that first block of the article. While there aren't any typos, "otherwise while also" should be "while" or "while also" since "otherwise" makes no sense in the given context. "Otherwise" what? Extra words add unnecessary confusion. I'd completely remove "for those wanting" and "some". I'd also change "sane defaults and getting the Arch Linux" to "sane defaults to get the Arch Linux" just to cut down the number of and's in the sentence.

After my editing that first sentence would become:

Archinstall debuted on the Arch Linux ISO last year and, since then, has been seeing steady improvements to dramatically shorten the time needed to install Arch Linux while having sane defaults to get the Arch Linux install going rather seamlessly like conventional Linux distribution installs.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                    They should add f2fs compression as option during formatting partitions.
                    I created an issue on github and linked it to your comment: https://github.com/archlinux/archinstall/issues/1287

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                    There are modules for PAM, but I guess that only works after switching to rootfs (so for home encryption).
                    We've been tinkering with the idea of `systemd-homed`* and perhaps adding this feature to this implementation would make sense?
                    Feedback and thoughts are always welcome

Comment

Working...
                    X