Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Moving Closer To Pure Wayland-Only Build Option

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Moving Closer To Pure Wayland-Only Build Option

GNOME's Mutter compositor has been going through some code restructuring and preparations for being able to build it without any X11 dependencies at all, for those wanting a legacy-free/X11-free GNOME desktop experience that would also forego any XWayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Makes me wonder how soon it will be before there is a push to get rid of x.org altogether, which is not a good idea.

Wayland is still missing features that x.org has. If there is not feature parity, that shouldn't be pushed.
    Last edited by ezst036; 31 May 2022, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      This is not a good idea.

Wayland is still missing features that x.org has. If there is not feature parity, it shouldn't be pushed.

Perhaps some of the GNOME devs need to help wrap up those missing Wayland features?
      Not sure. Remember you can still use gamescope from valve on top of Mutter built without Xwayland support and use Xwayland that way.

So I am not sure if this is really a problem long term. Do we really need all compositors to implement X11 support or do we just need a generic solution like gamescope that is a wayland proxy compositor.

Comment

This is not a good idea.

Wayland is still missing features that x.org has. If there is not feature parity, it shouldn't be pushed.

Perhaps some of the GNOME devs need to help wrap up those missing Wayland features?
        Redhat is a forward looking company. You shouldn't doubt them.

Jokes aside Gnome has been a total anti-human crap show ever since version 3 was released. Nothing will make me think otherwise and people who insist on Gnome make me feel weird. I mean there's BDSM but BDSM with a DE? That's beyond me.

Comment

Wow, here's nice honest article about Gnome: https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/GNOME

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Jokes aside Gnome has been a total anti-human crap show ever since version 3 was released. Nothing will make me think otherwise and people who insist on Gnome make me feel weird. I mean there's BDSM but BDSM with a DE? That's beyond me.
            Well, that is what you and a few other people think, but you can use KDE on FreeBSD if you like shitty things.
            I love GNOME! ❤️

Comment

Gnome has been a total anti-human crap show ever since version 3 was released.
              i use gnome 3 daily for a couple of years.
              while it definetely!! needs basic improvement: you can get it to be how you want with gsettings, plugins, tweaks, and time.

they really had some weird ideas (hot corner and then move the icons away from the corner at the next release). but i disabled annoying things, enabled missing ones (background running to icons on bar...)

it works fine enough for me, i even left my fast icewm (x) for it.

so now i m full wayland+a lot of xwayland.

Comment

Wayland is still missing features that x.org has. If there is not feature parity, that shouldn't be pushed.
                I think someone will come with a thin library, like pipewire-pulse does. And that may need some more Wayland protocol extensions, like Vulkan has to support Zink. I am not a fan of running basically two window systems simultaneously to do basically the same shit as System1 did millions of years ago.
                Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
                you can get it to be how you want with gsettings, plugins, tweaks, and time.
                CPU time and memory consumption?
                Last edited by V1tol; 31 May 2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Ignore birdie. I defend him on some topics, such as Nvidia support for Linux. He is right that some Linux users do not understand how companies are run. But when it comes to GNOME, he always acts like a moron. Even more, he defends that posts like

or the one below this one are "facts".

There's not a single thread about Gnome where he doesn't start a flamewar. But he calls it enlightening the crowd. Delusions of grandeur...

Comment

Besides tidying up dependencies, this could be useful for pinpointing integration bugs. Compile with no X whatsoever, see if it reproduces.

Comment

Working...
                    X