AMD Kernel Driver Enabling Peer-To-Peer Multi-GPU Compute For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Kernel Driver Enabling Peer-To-Peer Multi-GPU Compute For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Kernel Driver Enabling Peer-To-Peer Multi-GPU Compute For Linux

A new patch series posted today by AMD is enabling peer-to-peer support within their AMDKFD kernel compute driver for allowing communication between multiple AMD GPUs over the PCIe bus without needing intermediate copies through system memory. In turn this should help with the multi-GPU compute performance for the Radeon ROCm stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anything that can potentially help sway to copy from one GPU to another would be awesome for Multi-gpu/Multi-monitor setups.

Comment

I wish there was a direct AMD to NVIDIA GPU memory transfer method...
      My extremely niche and possibly unique use case: Render on AMD card, capture screen and 4:4:4 encode on NVIDIA card.

Comment

There are already optimizations for this in mesa for GLX (merged) and EGL (in progress) assuming you have PCI_P2PDMA and DMABUF_MOVE_NOTIFY enabled in your kernel config and your platform supports PCIe P2P DMA.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/10595
        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/13422

Comment

agd5f

Can I use AMD GPU for rendering and Nvidia GPU for PhysX?

Comment

Originally posted by torbido View Post
            agd5f

Can I use AMD GPU for rendering and Nvidia GPU for PhysX?
            Are there new games that still support physx on the GPU? That was only a handful and nvidia block that. i know that there where some patches that unlock that again but i dont know if they are still on new cards available.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Are there new games that still support physx on the GPU? That was only a handful and nvidia block that. i know that there where some patches that unlock that again but i dont know if they are still on new cards available.
              Control (2019), but I just want to replay some old games that support Nvidia PhysX.

Comment

Originally posted by torbido View Post

Control (2019), but I just want to replay some old games that support Nvidia PhysX.
                that game supports it only on the cpu as far as i know and can find.

physx on the gpu is since years abandoned and ony the physx on the CPU are still in use.

Script error: No such module "SDcat". Script error: No such module "Unsubst". Script error: No such module "Unsubst". PhysX is an open-source physics engine that runs via GPU or PPU. As of 2016, approximately 40 games supported it. PhysX Nvidia GameWorks Physics engine Middleware List of games using Havok PhysX list on GeForce.com PhysXInfo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

that game supports it only on the cpu as far as i know and can find.

physx on the gpu is since years abandoned and ony the physx on the CPU are still in use.

https://list.fandom.com/wiki/List_of..._PhysX_support
                  I do not care about Control (2019). I just want to replay some old games that support Nvidia PhysX like: Dark Void, Mafia II, Alice: Madness Returns, and Batman Arkham games.

Comment

Well, they work, but nvidia just dont let you use physx on the gpu if you render on a amd card.

Comment

Working...
                    X