Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asahi Linux Celebrates First Triangle On The Apple M1 With Fully Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asahi Linux Celebrates First Triangle On The Apple M1 With Fully Open-Source Driver

Phoronix: Asahi Linux Celebrates First Triangle On The Apple M1 With Fully Open-Source Driver

While there has been progress with the Mesa code targeting Apple M1 to run basic tests like glmark2, that has traditionally been an effort running under macOS with its kernel driver. This week the Asahi Linux crew celebrated their first rendered triangle running with a fully open-source driver stack under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent progress.

Comment

Not running on linux (yet). It's prototype code written in python in the m1n1 bootloader Hector Martin uses for reverse engineering.

Comment

And it's shaded!!!

Comment

Maybe it will be barely usable after a year of M2 released...

Comment

I'm more interested in how soon the Pinebook makers sue them for $100 billion over totally frivolous nonsense like Apple used to do to everyone.

Anyone remember the 'rounded corners' lawsuits?

I'd toss a few bucks into a gofundme to see it happen.

Comment

A lot further along than it looks. The next step will be throwing multiple triangles at once, and you know what already does that? The userspace driver that Asahi has developed on macOS. Plug the two together and you could probably repeat the full shaded rabbit render previously done, except now 100% open source.

It will be very interesting what the linux DRM driver interface looks like though, since they've previously noted that linux DRM drivers tend to be thinner than macos ones.

Comment

Lina work is pretty inspirational as she stream all reverse engineering videos, she is enabling lot of developers. M2 is looking pretty fast (the GPU is shiny). so it is good time to buy M1 Macbook Air next year for Linux

Comment

ok, I'll bite ;-)
                  Shaded triangles? DAZZLE.EXE did that over 30! years ago.

Comment

This is good work but the grump in me is fairly disappointed that all this work is being put into Apple's hardware of all things. I would rather a boycott from the open-source community

Originally posted by luno View Post
                    so it is good time to buy M1 Macbook Air next year for Linux
                    Due to treadmilling, you are better off buying an M1 machine *now*. Then next year it might be usable once the hard work by the opn-source community catches up.

If you buy an M1 Macbook next year, you will need to wait *2* years for the community to catch up with its new changes from Apple. It isn't like the M1 is a stable platform, especially since it comes from a single vendor.

Of course, I would never recommend hardware from Apple (or a single vendor). This same strategy works well for ThinkPad and HP business laptops. Always have some in storage, ready for open-source to catch up. It is a good guaranteed way to have a working, non-second hand machine at your disposal.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 05 June 2022, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X