Ubuntu 22.04 Ups The Performance For TUXEDO's AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04 Ups The Performance For TUXEDO's AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 Ups The Performance For TUXEDO's AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Last month I published a review on the TUXEDO Aura 15 Gen2 laptop that is powered by an AMD Ryzen 5000 series SoC and initially shipped with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. But with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS now having been released -- and TUXEDO Computers shifting over to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS -- here is a look at the performance uplift that can be expected from this new Ubuntu long-term support version.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As deppman wrote:

[...] how much work Tuxedo puts into supporting their systems. They rewrite ACPI tables, create recovery disks, and generally resolve all integration issues both before the sale and after with repeatable, packaged solutions. Most Linux system vendors don't take this nearly as seriously, and it can save you incredible amounts of time and frustration. Full disclosure: I work with the Kubuntu Focus project with similar goals and efforts, and Tuxedo have been excellent friends and collaborators as we have similar requirements. Michael mentioned their great Linux-first integration, but his emphasis is on hardware performance, so it can get lost (no offense to him!).

What one needs to be aware of IMO, is there are a group of "we'll-drop-any-of-14-distros-on-a-laptop-and-verify-it-boots-into-live-disk" vendors. They're cheaper at first, but in reality you are very much on your own from day 1, with "support" in the form of community forums where you get to try to sort out solutions from stranded customers with lots of bad or incomplete and unpackaged solutions. In comparison, we test new kernels and graphics drivers for hardware compatibility (on every hardware platform!) before releasing upstream updates, and I'm pretty certain that Tuxedo do as well. That alone can save your days of hassle, lost work, and frustration.

Tuxedo might cost a bit more, but you *will* earn that back in days or less with all the problems averted and optimizations applied. They are good people who really know what they are doing. Support them and their dedication instead of saving $50 on a chassis with little optimization and lousy support. It's better for you and everyone.

Comment

Nice overall performance uplift! Always nice to see that you get better from your hardware over time.

Comment

How about battery life improvements? Were there any advantages there?

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
          As deppman wrote:

[...] how much work Tuxedo puts into supporting their systems. They rewrite ACPI tables, create recovery disks, and generally resolve all integration issues both before the sale and after with repeatable, packaged solutions. Most Linux system vendors don't take this nearly as seriously, and it can save you incredible amounts of time and frustration. Full disclosure: I work with the Kubuntu Focus project with similar goals and efforts, and Tuxedo have been excellent friends and collaborators as we have similar requirements. Michael mentioned their great Linux-first integration, but his emphasis is on hardware performance, so it can get lost (no offense to him!).

What one needs to be aware of IMO, is there are a group of "we'll-drop-any-of-14-distros-on-a-laptop-and-verify-it-boots-into-live-disk" vendors. They're cheaper at first, but in reality you are very much on your own from day 1, with "support" in the form of community forums where you get to try to sort out solutions from stranded customers with lots of bad or incomplete and unpackaged solutions. In comparison, we test new kernels and graphics drivers for hardware compatibility (on every hardware platform!) before releasing upstream updates, and I'm pretty certain that Tuxedo do as well. That alone can save your days of hassle, lost work, and frustration.

Tuxedo might cost a bit more, but you *will* earn that back in days or less with all the problems averted and optimizations applied. They are good people who really know what they are doing. Support them and their dedication instead of saving $50 on a chassis with little optimization and lousy support. It's better for you and everyone.
          True, very nice guys there. They once could have proposed me to buy a New Computer when I have asked them for a spare part after years! Instead they had a look could only find a part for another location. But they have pointed me to the right place where I could get some. Totally great CS

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but three things I would love to see for laptop reviews:

1. Some "how long does the battery last" tests across different distros. Even a "how long does it run doing constant kernel compiles" vs "how long does it run playing a YouTube playlist on Firefox" for example.

2. How well does the laptop+distro work with various docks (resume from suspend, suspend to disk, etc) - will I get both my monitors and external keyboard back after resuming from sleep? Etc.

3. How much of the hardware can I use? Like, does the fingerprint reader work? Can I stream DRM encoded videos through an HDMI out? Does wifi work out of the box, etc?

(cc phoronix)

Comment

I once considered buying a Tuxedo laptop but seeing that they don't upstream their wmi stuff into mainline so that tlp for example can't use battery conservation is a no go for me. I don't want to install vendor hacks.

Comment

How about boot speed and startup speed of programs?

I bet it's slower now because of the Snap shitware they're trying to shove on users.

Comment

Working...
                X