Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap 15.4 Released

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap 15.4 Released

Following yesterday's release of SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP4, today the openSUSE community has released openSUSE Leap 15.4 that is free and built from the same shared sources as SLE 15 SP4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did my upgrade this morning, all went nice and smoothly and I can say KDE 5.24 LTS is a welcome upgrade to 5.18 LTS.

Comment

Interesting. I don't remember seeing Mate in the DE options of OpenSUSE installation (I remember seeing only Gnome, KDE and Xfce). Or is it because I tried Tumbleweed?
      Last edited by user1; 08 June 2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        Interesting. I don't remember seeing Mate in the DE options of OpenSUSE installation (I remember seeing only Gnome, KDE and Xfce). Or is it because I tried Tumbleweed?
        It's the same options as Tumbleweed. The "System Role" page on the installer gives you these options in order.
        • KDE Plasma
        • GNOME
        • Xfce
        • Generic Desktop
        • Server
        • Transactional Server
        And later if you go into the details for "Software Selection and System Tasks", you see these additional options to the DEs above.
        • Cinnamon
        • LXDE
        • LXQt
        • Sway
        • Enlightenment
        • MATE
        • Deepin
        • Budgie

Comment

Could OpenSUSE be the best Linux distro? For some reasons, I keep using deb distro based , but considered that Xfce is a great DE, and also considered that Kde Plasma 5.24 is in a great shape, yet not completely bug free, in term of performance and resource usage, I'm really thinking to pass to it. It's a pity that I've already updated my Linux installation only a few weeks ago. I'm still thinking about it... and about Mageia.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
            Could OpenSUSE be the best Linux distro? For some reasons, I keep using deb distro based , but considered that Xfce is a great DE, and also considered that Kde Plasma 5.24 is in a great shape, yet not completely bug free, in term of performance and resource usage, I'm really thinking to pass to it. It's a pity that I've already updated my Linux installation only a few weeks ago. I'm still thinking about it... and about Mageia.
            OpenSUSE (and SUSE by reverse extension) gets a lot of things right. There are many areas where I think "just do what SUSE does" would be a valid / better path forward. It isn't perfect though. Their Polkit and PackageKit implementations aren't nearly as good as Fedora. I recently picked up a used workstation laptop with Nvidia / Optimus graphics. I never got the damn thing working properly under Tumbleweed (black screen at SDDM) despite trying every permutation of prime-select, xorg.conf changes, and everything in their documentation. With Fedora it "just works", no screwing around required.

About Mageia, and really all your options including OpenSUSE, I'd recommend firing up a VM in virt-manager and playing with them there for a while. Mageia was a no-go for me due to package availability, odd behavior, and bugs. But I found that out quickly in a VM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

OpenSUSE (and SUSE by reverse extension) gets a lot of things right. There are many areas where I think "just do what SUSE does" would be a valid / better path forward. It isn't perfect though. Their Polkit and PackageKit implementations aren't nearly as good as Fedora. I recently picked up a used workstation laptop with Nvidia / Optimus graphics. I never got the damn thing working properly under Tumbleweed (black screen at SDDM) despite trying every permutation of prime-select, xorg.conf changes, and everything in their documentation. With Fedora it "just works", no screwing around required.

About Mageia, and really all your options including OpenSUSE, I'd recommend firing up a VM in virt-manager and playing with them there for a while. Mageia was a no-go for me due to package availability, odd behavior, and bugs. But I found that out quickly in a VM.
              I was talking about OpenSUSE Leap. Tumbleweed is a rolling version of OpenSuse. About bugs, all distros have bugs, maybe they are the same bugs. Mageia, maybe, have fewer packages, I don't know, I am a normal linux user. But Mageia is a really indipendent distro made by a non-profit organization.

Comment

Yay for the new release! This distro needs more recognition!

Comment

The best RPM-based distro.

Comment

Been using it as my OS on my workstation for close to 10 years without a single hiccup. The only time I install is when I replace the workstation which is on a 3 year cycle. I would highly suggest it if you just want your computer to work without any hassles. Note: I am talking about Leap (release-based) and not Tumbleweed (rolling release) for which I have zero experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X