Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 3.2 Debuts With AMD GPU Linux Rendering Support

Phoronix: Blender 3.2 Debuts With AMD GPU Linux Rendering Support

Blender 3.2 is releasing this morning as the newest version of this open-source, cross-platform 3D modeling and animation software package. Blender 3.2 finally adds AMD GPU-accelerated rendering support on Linux and many other refinements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Welcome vendor+api fragmentation!

Comment

I recall a while back there was an announcement of blender starting a partnership or funding with AMD to accomplish exactly this? Am I mistaken?

Comment

So consumers/creators are expected to install ROCm driver/runtime that ships with -pro driver package and this officially supports HIP and Blender with consumer RDNA1/2 products?
        Last edited by aufkrawall; 08 June 2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

> I'll be working on some Blender 3.2 Linux benchmarks shortly on Phoronix.
          Can't wait, THX.

Comment

Considering that AMDs recent APUs have Vega GPUs onboard, I'm hoping that support will get extended to that generation as well.

All the way back to Polaris would obviously be awesome.

Where might one learn more about the support roadmap/story?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              So consumers/creators are expected to install ROCm driver/runtime that ships with -pro driver package and this officially supports HIP and Blender with consumer RDNA1/2 products?
              That's my current setup on Fedora 36. The standard amdgpu kernel driver for most things and ROCM OpenCL (from RHEL 8.6) for Darktable, Davinci Resolve, and whatever else needs OpenCL.

Comment

Using the upstream kernel support and avoiding the DKMS module makes installing ROC much easier!

Comment

Originally posted by KoenDG View Post
                  I recall a while back there was an announcement of blender starting a partnership or funding with AMD to accomplish exactly this? Am I mistaken?
                  That's true, AMD is working with the Blender devs to make that happen for some GPUs
                  see: https://devtalk.blender.org/t/cycles...back/21400/315

last thing I see is 4 days ago:
                  bsavery
                  I work for AMD The driver team is only currently supporting RDNA2 for Blender with HIP. However, we're doing what we can to make sure RDNA is enabled in Blender.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                    Considering that AMDs recent APUs have Vega GPUs onboard, I'm hoping that support will get extended to that generation as well.

All the way back to Polaris would obviously be awesome.

Where might one learn more about the support roadmap/story?
                    AMD so far doesn't want to support APUs or older GPUs under Linux concerning OpenCL/ROCM/AMF etc.

Your best place for information is the ROCm github issues page: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/issues

summary: no roadmap / no support matrix / no apus / no old gpus - atm. they are creating some new deployment methods so that they can finally support Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Comment

Working...
                    X