PipeWire 0.3.52 Released To Continue Enhancing Linux Audio/Video Streams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.52 Released To Continue Enhancing Linux Audio/Video Streams

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.52 Released To Continue Enhancing Linux Audio/Video Streams

PipeWire 0.3.52 was released today as the newest version of this open-source server for handling audio/video streams on the Linux desktop and increasingly being used now as a replacement for PulseAudio...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PipeWire 0.3.52 adds 44.1KHz to the allowed sample rates
    Hope it doesn't mean Pipewire will switch my USB DAC to 44.1 Khz whenever there is a 44.1 source. This was the default behavior of Pulseaudio and it was really annoying. Maybe with onboard audio it's not an issue because it can switch instantly, but at least my USB DAC takes at least 1 second to switch from 48 to 44.1 Khz.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Hope it doesn't mean Pipewire will switch my USB DAC to 44.1 Khz whenever there is a 44.1 source. This was the default behavior of Pulseaudio and it was really annoying. Maybe with onboard audio it's not an issue because it can switch instantly, but at least my USB DAC takes at least 1 second to switch from 48 to 44.1 Khz.
      It does. Create /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/fixed-rate.conf with
      Code:
      context.properties = {
           default.clock.allowed-rates = [ 48000 ]
      }
      To disable this behavior.
      Last edited by pkunk; 09 June 2022, 03:16 PM.

Comment

It is not long ago since I got audio over network working on pulseaudio which was great. Now that Debian switched to pipewire it does no longer work. Is there any news/anyone who knows how to make pipewire audio work over network?!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Couldn't this not also benefit from the massive speeds and reduced latency by incorporating what IO_uring is offering with with I/O and data streams?

Comment

If anyone wants to copy and paste here is my config for my SMSL M8A V2, look up the specifications of your DAC and remove some of the higher sample rates. Highest I tested was 352.8kHz, couldn't find any test samples above it. Native DSD is still broken but seems to be a WIP.

Code:
            default.clock.allowed-rates = [ 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000 352800 384000 705600 768000 ]
            I followed this guide https://discovery.endeavouros.com/au...phile/2022/01/

Curious why wouldn't you want your DAC to output the correct sample rate of the audio file? I find it works similar to Window's exclusive mode which I preferred.
            Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 09 June 2022, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Why would you hope for that? If the source is 44.1kHz, not resampling is the best thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
                Curious why wouldn't you want your DAC to output the correct sample rate of the audio file? I find it works similar to Window's exclusive mode which I preferred.
                I want that only when I'm listening to music. But I don't want that for other stuff like games or various audio sources from the internet. Even in Youtube alone, most videos are 48 Khz, but some (mainly livestreams) are 44.1 Khz, so as I said, it's very annoying when my DAC constantly switches between 48 and 44.1 Khz. Just to be clear, lets say I'm on 48 Khz and suddenly a 44.1 source kicks in. During the 1 second of my DAC switching to 44.1 Khz there is no sound, so the 44.1 source starts playing at least more than 1 second after I pressed the play button. That's why it's annoying.
                Last edited by user1; 09 June 2022, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Just to be clear, lets say I'm on 48 Khz and suddenly a 44.1 source kicks in. During the 1 second of my DAC switching to 44.1 Khz there is no sound, so the 44.1 source starts playing at least more than 1 second after I pressed the play button. That's why it's annoying.
                  JFYI: pipewire only switches sample rate when no sound is playing. So it can be somewhat better experience in your case.
                  Also when choosing between two pipewire prefers higher rate. Pulse had 44100 as main and 48000 as fallback by default.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                    It is not long ago since I got audio over network working on pulseaudio which was great. Now that Debian switched to pipewire it does no longer work. Is there any news/anyone who knows how to make pipewire audio work over network?!
                    It works same as PulseAudio, you just have to load the right modules, check the example on Arch Wiki, and how to load the modules at startup in PipeWire docs.
                    I have mixed PipeWire and PulseAudio devices on my network and they work well together.
                    Last edited by Vermilion; 09 June 2022, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X