No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Working To Provide Good Support For The VisionFive Low-Cost RISC-V Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Working To Provide Good Support For The VisionFive Low-Cost RISC-V Board

Phoronix: Ubuntu Working To Provide Good Support For The VisionFive Low-Cost RISC-V Board

In recent weeks Ubuntu developers have been working on bringing up and improving support for the Starfive VisionFive, which is one of the most promising "low-cost" RISC-V single board computers to date. Hopefully for Ubuntu 22.10 we'll be seeing good support for this sub-$180 RISC-V computer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah. Nice board. Would love to get my hands on one ... in France!
    Well - I'll see how it develops in future, and I'll definitely test it.

I'm also eager to see the performance comparisons to regular Raspberry PI's :}
    Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

When will there be RISC-V boards with IPC and clockspeeds and performance similar to ARM A76 or better?

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
        When will there be RISC-V boards with IPC and clockspeeds and performance similar to ARM A76 or better?
        Exactly, I'm interested to know when would any RISC-V SoC reach parity, if ever, with RPi4

Comment

Zoll kiffmet and price too. cause this boards are so freaking expensive

Comment

im just waiting for something with decent 3d accel, needs not be the best in the world, but I would like to run some emus

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              im just waiting for something with decent 3d accel, needs not be the best in the world, but I would like to run some emus
              Seems like you could plug a decent video card into the HiFive board. I'm not sure how well it would perform though.

Comment

In case anyone wants to play with such a board and do something useful while learning about the architecture: adding RISC-V SIMD optimization to https://github.com/ebassi/graphene would help a bunch of Gnome projects, including Gnome-Shell and GTK4

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Seems like you could plug a decent video card into the HiFive board. I'm not sure how well it would perform though.
                  that could be an interesting path to take. not the one I am after, but it could make do if I go this route lol

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                    In case anyone wants to play with such a board and do something useful while learning about the architecture: adding RISC-V SIMD optimization to https://github.com/ebassi/graphene would help a bunch of Gnome projects, including Gnome-Shell and GTK4
                    And how would you test and run the code? Remember this board has a CPU that was announced back in 2018. The vector extension has only recently been finalized, so it'll be several years before you could get a board that supports it.

Comment

Working...
                    X