Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Adds Radeon Memory Visualizer Support For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Adds Radeon Memory Visualizer Support For Linux

AMD's Radeon Memory Visualizer "RMV" tool from their GPUOpen initiative has allowed better understanding video memory usage with Windows across multiple APIs. In citing the "rising popularity of gaming on the Linux OS", AMD has now enabled Linux support for this tool...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool. Every little thing helps.

Except for one game, MSFS 2020, I've been gaming on Linux exclusively again. The reason why? I can use FSR with my RX 580 on Linux.

AMD, in their infinite wisdom, blocked that for everyone except 5000 series GPUs and up on their Windows driver. WTF, AMD?

But, yeah, that's the simple reason why. When you upgrade to a 4K TV and don't think about the ramifications you find that (1080p) upscaling games to 4K becomes a necessary feature and, well, I've found that for gaming it can be better on Linux.

For games where 30FPS is just fine, like Snowrunner, I use the following launch parameters where I get better visuals than on Windows using the AMD Control Panel provided options using the same in-game options between operating systems.

Code:
    MANGOHUD_CONFIG=ram,vram,swap,cpu_temp,gpu_temp,vsync=3,fps_limit=30 WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR_STRENGTH=0  DXVK_ASYNC=1 ENABLE_VKBASALT=1 mangohud %command%
    Using mostly ultra settings and 1080p in game that runs between 45-50 FPS on my 4GB RX 580...can get 60 without VKBasalt but SMAA and CAS is worth it. It also drops from a variable 80C-86C to a steady 76C when locked to 30 FPS; very worth it.

MangoHud
    vkBasalt
    proton-ge-custom

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      The new RMV v1.4.1 Windows and Linux binaires are

Comment

Typo "cire" should be "core"

Comment

Okay, nice. But to me it looks like a more fine granulated version of radeontop. Anyway, nice to see.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Okay, nice. But to me it looks like a more fine granulated version of radeontop. Anyway, nice to see.
            Not really the same, this tool gives you a detailed look at your applications GPU memory usage using Vulkan or DirectX12. For Linux, this means analyzing Vulkan memory usage. A nice usecase is to compare different GPU memory allocation schemes such as a roll-your-own or using VulkanMemoryAllocator and see which is more optimized. You can also use the tool to see if your game/app is allocating unnecessary or too much memory during a frame

Comment

Originally posted by Debunez View Post

Not really the same, this tool gives you a detailed look at your applications GPU memory usage using Vulkan or DirectX12. For Linux, this means analyzing Vulkan memory usage. A nice usecase is to compare different GPU memory allocation schemes such as a roll-your-own or using VulkanMemoryAllocator and see which is more optimized. You can also use the tool to see if your game/app is allocating unnecessary or too much memory during a frame
              Your post's notification made me realize that I left "gamemoded" out of my launch parameters and "resolution,gamemode" from mangohud

Since all that stuff runs through Wine/DXVK/Vulkan that's what I'm hoping to see with this tool -- what settings specifically do what to my GPU. And to see which vulkan renderer is better in a locked FPS scenario...like which uses more or less memory or has fewer FPS dips due to using unnecessarily high settings.

Comment

Working...
              X