Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LUMI Inaugurated As Europe's Most Powerful Supercomputer - Powered By AMD CPUs/GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LUMI Inaugurated As Europe's Most Powerful Supercomputer - Powered By AMD CPUs/GPUs

Phoronix: LUMI Inaugurated As Europe's Most Powerful Supercomputer - Powered By AMD CPUs/GPUs

While not record-shattering like the 1.1 Exaflops Frontier supercomputer at ORNL that took the Top500 spot this year from Fugaku, LUMI was inaugurated today with the claim of Europe's most powerful supercomputer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While initially the combination of the name LUMI and "will be used for matters like fighting climate change" made me smile a bit (I was expecting an unintended cross-language pun), progressing through the article and reading where it's located explained everything.

Comment

I really hope that this will indeed be used for climate and medical research purposes only and not for some stupid weapons research.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I really hope that this will indeed be used for climate and medical research purposes only and not for some stupid weapons research.
        Any medicine can be poison and any medical research can also be weapons research. It's really about the people using it rather than the nature of the research...

Comment

Most powerful *acknowledged* supercomputer: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ret/ar-AAY8QQn

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post

Any medicine can be poison and any medical research can also be weapons research. It's really about the people using it rather than the nature of the research...
            Many, if not most, medicines are toxins that have been discovered to have medicinal properties. A couple of notables are digitoxin and quinine.

Comment

They're looking for the most adequate places to bomb the jet stream to affect rain patterns.

Comment

Wait, what happened to the ARM-based exascale1?

I only see references to it in SiPearl press releases now... but shouldnt it be up soon if the design leaked in 2020?

Comment

With Putin being what he is, I hope it will be used to give Europe an absolute supremacy in weapons technology over USSR - cough - cough - Russia.

Comment

LUMI -> Snow

Comment

Working...
                    X