Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD HIP vs. NVIDIA CUDA vs. NVIDIA OptiX On Blender 3.2

Phoronix: AMD HIP vs. NVIDIA CUDA vs. NVIDIA OptiX On Blender 3.2

Last week with the release of Blender 3.2 bringing AMD HIP support for Linux to provide for Radeon GPU acceleration, I posted some initial benchmarks of AMD Radeon RX 6000 series with HIP against NVIDIA RTX with OptiX. There was interest by some Phoronix readers in also seeing NVIDIA CUDA results even though OptiX is in good shape with RTX GPUs, so with that here are results of NVIDIA CUDA vs. NVIDIA OptiX vs. AMD HIP with Blender 3.2 on Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thx for this interesting benchmark, Michael. Sad to see, that AMD is still years behind NVIDIA!
    Last edited by Steffo; 14 June 2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot Michael for adressing complains about lacking CUDA in last tests!

Results are in line with what i expected.

Comment

Looks like the CUDA option has become mostly superfluous vs. OptiX since Blender 3.0 release, as it finally has become faster also in less complex render scenes. I guess that's what can happen with a software, API and driver development strategy that isn't erratic and unreliable.

Comment

HIP works for my 5700 RDNA1 card with blender. But I think it has problems with textures that have non-power-of-2 dimensions, which at least the BMW benchmark uses.

On a performance per Dollar benchmark, the AMD cards are not even that much worse then NVidia/Cuda. But is there even a reason to not use Optix? Does Optix support everything Cycles/Cuda does? I know AMD Prorender doesn't support everything.

Comment

Great, thanks for the inclusion of CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
              HIP works for my 5700 RDNA1 card with blender. But I think it has problems with textures that have non-power-of-2 dimensions, which at least the BMW benchmark uses.

On a performance per Dollar benchmark, the AMD cards are not even that much worse then NVidia/Cuda. But is there even a reason to not use Optix? Does Optix support everything Cycles/Cuda does? I know AMD Prorender doesn't support everything.
              On initial 2.8 release optix missed few features but they were readded in 2.9x. Since 3.0 optix from what i know supports everything, and it uses same renderer just with diffrent backend, so results should be the same.

in case of HIP, according to blender docs misses "The Clip extension mode in the Image Texture Node is not supported."

in case of Metal, MNEE caustics are not supported in Metal.

So in fact feature parity is biggest in CUDA/Optix.
              Last edited by piotrj3; 14 June 2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Obviously not all of this is architecture, but *part* of it is, right? AMD has a more gaming centric, bandwidth-light design atm.

IIRC this used to be flip flopped, where AMD was the one with more theoretical compute power and higher bandwidth in otherwise similarly performing cards. I remember the *old* 6000 series and the GCN1 7000 series being particularly good at brute force crypto mining compared to Fermi.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                  ...On a performance per Dollar benchmark, the AMD cards are not even that much worse then NVidia/Cuda...
                  I thought 4.4x was much worse;

Phoronix: Blender 3.2 Performance With AMD Radeon HIP vs. NVIDIA GeForce On Linux This week's release of Blender 3.2 brings AMD GPU rendering support on Linux via AMD's HIP interface in conjunction with their ROCm compute stack. Eager to see the AMD GPU support on Linux finally arrive, I quickly began trying out this new

Comment

Really interesting results! Alas yes AMD is still far behind Nvidia on the GPGPU front, but at least its a huge improvement to see them trying finally!

Comment

Working...
                    X