Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Core 22 Released For IoT & Embedded Devices

Phoronix: Ubuntu Core 22 Released For IoT & Embedded Devices

Canonical has officially released Ubuntu Core 22 as its fully containerized version of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS that is optimized for IoT and edge computing use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Edge computing, huh? They'd do well to keep this away from my cat.

Comment

> to ensure only specific Snap packages are installed (and of a fixed version/revision)

That looks like potentially an extremely valuable feature, if I'm reading it right. As in, a way to pin a snap so that it doesn't update to a broken (or more importantly, breakING) version. That may not be the worst thing about snaps, since there's so much competition for that title, but it's certainly ONE of the many problems with them.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
        > to ensure only specific Snap packages are installed (and of a fixed version/revision)

That looks like potentially an extremely valuable feature, if I'm reading it right. As in, a way to pin a snap so that it doesn't update to a broken (or more importantly, breakING) version. That may not be the worst thing about snaps, since there's so much competition for that title, but it's certainly ONE of the many problems with them.
        The problem is that, to do that, you need a Brand Store account, so you must pay Canonical for that.

I absolutely understand they are providing this free of charge, they're one of the few vendors actually providing a containerized build as well supported as this one (Fedora IOT is a joke, and I don't think OpenSuse MicroOS is much better in this sense, as it's not integrated and it's kind of 'make it yourself' AFAIK).

Of course, you could always take the source code of snapd and build your own, custom backend for Snapcraft, so I don't think it's as bad as the guys in HN make it out to be...

Comment

Working...
        X