Raspberry Pi 4 V3D Open-Source Kernel Driver Support Slated For Linux 5.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4 V3D Open-Source Kernel Driver Support Slated For Linux 5.20

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 V3D Open-Source Kernel Driver Support Slated For Linux 5.20

While the Raspberry Pi 4 has been out for nearly three years, only with the Linux 5.20 kernel later this summer is there anticipated to be the upstream open-source support within the V3D Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has there been no work, political or technical, towards not having to use a proprietary binary to be able to boot Raspberry Pi's?

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
      Has there been no work, political or technical, towards not having to use a proprietary binary to be able to boot Raspberry Pi's?
      You mean the firmware? I thought that had been reverse engineered at some point.

I guess no one cares enough to switch it out…

Comment

From a practical perspective, what does this mean? Fewer additions from distros' ARM64 kernel sources in order to bake Raspberry Pi images? Does this open the door to, say, Ubuntu et al using generic ARM64 images on UEFI instead of a custom Raspberry Pi preinstalled image with its own special kernel?

Comment

Why was this tested only on Wayland/Gnome and not also on Wayland/KDE Plasma?

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
            From a practical perspective, what does this mean? Fewer additions from distros' ARM64 kernel sources in order to bake Raspberry Pi images? Does this open the door to, say, Ubuntu et al using generic ARM64 images on UEFI instead of a custom Raspberry Pi preinstalled image with its own special kernel?
            It means that you can download and compile the kernel, and it’ll do something useful without finding out-of-tree stuff. Also distro support will be more standardised (everyone uses the same codebase)

Comment

You could argue that this is a first step for anyone willing to do what you are asking, but considering the driver was outside the kernel 3 years after hardware release and is only now being mainlined... i dont think there is any will

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
              Yes. once everything is upstreamed, no special sauce should be needed to run on the pi4. Standard Debian, Fedoa ubuntu or any other should work.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                It means that you can download and compile the kernel, and it’ll do something useful without finding out-of-tree stuff. Also distro support will be more standardised (everyone uses the same codebase)
                I wish I could do that for Raspberry Pi 1, but I guess that's already an abandonned platform.

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                You mean the firmware? I thought that had been reverse engineered at some point.

I guess no one cares enough to switch it out…
                Is the firmware even flash-able on those?

Comment

Open source VPU side bootloader for Raspberry Pi. Contribute to christinaa/rpi-open-firmware development by creating an account on GitHub.

/ah

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyLinuxUser View Post
                    Open source VPU side bootloader for Raspberry Pi. Contribute to christinaa/rpi-open-firmware development by creating an account on GitHub.

/ah
                    Wow, thanks! I'll see if I can try it

Comment

Working...
                    X