Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.4 Beta Released With HTTP Server & 3D Physics Modules

Phoronix: Qt 6.4 Beta Released With HTTP Server & 3D Physics Modules

On top of the other Qt announcements today, Qt 6.4 Beta was just released to begin testing on this next half-year update to the Qt6 tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also Qt 5.15.5 source code was published.

Comment

why the heck would a GUI api need a 3d physics module is lost to me. anyone care to explain?

Comment

Originally posted by arabek View Post
        why the heck would a GUI api need a 3d physics module is lost to me. anyone care to explain?
        Qt is more of a software framework rather than a mere GUI toolkit. It also has APIs for sensors, SQL, networking, multimedia, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by arabek View Post
          Maybe to make some cool 3D Effects like the cube rotating and still rotate from inertia after buttons release or being able to drop some windows and because of virtual gravity they will fall to task bar and be smashed to pieces.

KDE Plasma already has some coold effects like the cube, fall apart when closing windows and wobbly windows.

Maybe the 3D physics module could help improve those effects or create new cool ones.

Or hopefully 3D capable displays will make a comeback in the future and we can have 3D interfaces with 3D buttons and physics.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Maybe to make some cool 3D Effects like the cube rotating and still rotate from inertia after buttons release or being able to drop some windows and because of virtual gravity they will fall to task bar and be smashed to pieces.

KDE Plasma already has some coold effects like the cube, fall apart when closing windows and wobbly windows.

Maybe the 3D physics module could help improve those effects or create new cool ones.

Or hopefully 3D capable displays will make a comeback in the future and we can have 3D interfaces with 3D buttons and physics.
            Sure, but why not just use a 3rd party library? I find it a bit unnecessary for Qt itself to have this. Just one more thing to maintain for a rather niche use.

Comment

I wonder when will Qt become an operating system...

Comment

I view putting a web server in a desktop app along the same lines as putting a web server in your bios. I have a pretty dim view of both.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  I view putting a web server in a desktop app along the same lines as putting a web server in your bios. I have a pretty dim view of both.
                  If you're talking about the addition of HTTP server in Qt, don't worry. Apps are not required to link to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I wonder when will Qt become an operating system...
                    Finally Emacs worthy opponent.

Comment

Working...
                    X