KDE Plasma 5.26 To Allow Crisper XWayland Apps With New Scaling Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.26 To Allow Crisper XWayland Apps With New Scaling Option

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.26 To Allow Crisper XWayland Apps With New Scaling Option

While this week marked the release of KDE Plasma 5.25, already there is a big shiny feature queued up for Plasma 5.26 to benefit those running the KDE Plasma Wayland session and relying on XWayland for X11 app compatibility...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be happy if they put different scaling for each screen in X11, but it seems they're not fixing this stuff for x11 anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post
      I would be happy if they put different scaling for each screen in X11, but it seems they're not fixing this stuff for x11 anymore
      AFAIK, that's technically impossible with X11 as it only supports a single buffer for all screens. And that's exactly one reason wayland was developed to overcome those limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post
        This can't be done without touching the core X11 protocol, which I believe is impractical to do due to political reasons

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

This can't be done without touching the core X11 protocol, which I believe is impractical to do due to political reasons
          Any change in X11 to this extent, whether as a change to the core protocol or (more likely) as an extension, would require applications to implement a protocol incompatible to current X. At this point, it makes more sense to support Wayland natively instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
            Issues requiring breaking the core protocol of X11 is what leads to the existence of Wayland. Once you break the X11 core protocol you also break backwards compatibility.

So this is not political. You have to remember the developer who started Wayland was a developer working on x.org X11 server who found themselves facing off against a set of impossible problems. All required X11 protocol changes that would result in breaking the protocol so legacy applications would not work. Worse of course is that modern applications made after the alteration would not work on old version of the protocol either. Wayland protocol is basically if we are going to break it that bad we might as well go after all the problems..

Comment

Alleluia, non-blurry X11 applications finally! I'd guess they will render at the higher resolution in non-matching multi-monitor setups and be scaled down by the compositor on the lower res monitor. Still better than the current solution where XWayland apps are ALWAYS blurry.

I still hope to get decent Wayland fractional scaling one day.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

ngraham Who decided that with Plasma 5.25 that the desktop grid would change behavior so that you can't drag application windows from one desktop to another anymore and instead you can only shift which virtual desktop goes where? Previous behavior where dragging windows shifted them between desktops was fine and dragging on the desktop area shifted the position was great. This is a highly irritating change. But glad it's listed as fixed
                Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 18 June 2022, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  ngraham Who decided that with Plasma 5.25 that the desktop grid would change behavior so that you can't drag application windows from one desktop to another anymore and instead you can only shift which virtual desktop goes where? Previous behavior where dragging windows shifted them between desktops was fine and dragging on the desktop area shifted the position was great. This is a highly irritating change. But glad it's listed as fixed
                  Nobody decided that. As the blog post said, it's a bug that's already been fixed, with the fix released in Plasma 5.25.1.
                  Last edited by ngraham; 18 June 2022, 06:23 PM.

Comment

ngraham : Your blog is really derpressive and heart breaking. We were happy with exciting features that came with 5.25 (especially accent colour from background), but it doesn't lasted long. You had to make post few days later about 'upcoming' 5.26 release with even more impressive crisp scaling of X11 apps, to force us waiting and suffer....man it really suck ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X