Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Chromium Snap Finally Seeing Progress On Supporting VA-API GPU Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Chromium Snap Finally Seeing Progress On Supporting VA-API GPU Acceleration

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Chromium Snap Finally Seeing Progress On Supporting VA-API GPU Acceleration

Those making use of Ubuntu's Chromium Snap for running the Google open-source web browser have been without VA-API support for GPU-based video acceleration within this sandboxed app. Fortunately, it looks like that will soon be crossed off the list for ensuring Ubuntu users can enjoy VA-API acceleration for lowering CPU resources and better power efficiency on Intel graphics and other Mesa Gallium3D drivers supporting VA-API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too little, too late. Firefox (or better, that blessed RedHat employee) had beaten them to the punch, and I already #snapedoutofit. For my Chrome needs I just installed the official Chrome package, that is much faster to launch.

Comment

Still waiting for an article called "Canonical decides to kill Snap and moves all the packages back to APT"

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post
        Still waiting for an article called "Canonical decides to kill Snap and moves all the packages back to APT"
        Still waiting for an argument on why exactly should canonical do that. Bonus points if it's one that's doesn't just recite the same old talking points.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Still waiting for an argument on why exactly should canonical do that. Bonus points if it's one that's doesn't just recite the same old talking points.
          I just like my PC to be snappy and my programs to work properly. I think these 2 points are also the basic traits people expect from their computers. And yet, Snap somehow fails at both...

Comment

more or less for the same reasons they killed all their duplicated efforts that nobody used (upstart, mir and all the other projects sharing the same fate)

Comment

Startup time of snap based software is just very bad, even with good quality SSD and CPU this process is really slow. If some newbie switched from Windows or macOS to Ubuntu and see how "fast" basic software like a browser is, may thing that linux is much slower than other OS, because don't know that this is just an issue related to snap based software.

Comment

So maybe 2022 will be the year of hardware video decoding in browsers by default on Linux. Yay!

It looks to me however that Chromium is several steps away from getting there - switching from GLX to EGL by default, getting driver blocklists into shape, probably more issues on the way - this may easily take another year. Firefox is ahead quite a bit in this regard, current nigthly/104 already a candidate to let it ride the trains.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  So maybe 2022 will be the year of hardware video decoding in browsers by default on Linux. Yay!

It looks to me however that Chromium is several steps away from getting there - switching from GLX to EGL by default, getting driver blocklists into shape, probably more issues on the way - this may easily take another year.
                  VAAPI support in Chrome on Linux is not a success story. However your statement is only true for the default state, you can get it to work since a few years on compatible hardware, even without disabling the blacklist in many cases. Just use the following command line which should do the trick:
                  Code:
                  /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U --use-gl=egl --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder --disable-features=UseChromeOSDirectVideoDecoder
                  You could also use --use-gl=desktop instead if you like. I also enable some GPU-related option via about:flags though.

For Linux to become more meanstream, I agree with the notion that such a crucial feature needs to work out of the box and that you want your browser to be fast and responsive.

Comment

So there is working upstream VAAPI support with Chromium's Ozone?

Comment

Working...
                    X