wxWidgets 3.2 Released After 15k+ Commits, HiDPI, Initial Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wxWidgets 3.2 Released After 15k+ Commits, HiDPI, Initial Wayland Support

Phoronix: wxWidgets 3.2 Released After 15k+ Commits, HiDPI, Initial Wayland Support

The cross-platform wxWidgets GUI toolkit is out today with version 3.2 that represents more than 15,000 commits and comes the better part of a decade since they started their last stable release series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HiDPI support? Finally!
    I wonder whether this means GTK2 is finally dropped (or deprecated)...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I wonder whether this means GTK2 is finally dropped (or deprecated)...
      I think Motif is still in there so I would assume GTK2 will stick around for when you need a faster themable toolkit compared to GTK3.

These days I suppose GTK3 is just as deprecated as GTK2 upstream anyway

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I think Motif is still in there so I would assume GTK2 will stick around for when you need a faster themable toolkit compared to GTK3.

GTK2 is deprecated and GTK3 is in maintenance mode. GTK3 will be deprecated when GTK5 releases.

Comment

What other pieces are needed for Wayland to check the box and say that HiDPI is supported before desktops can start implementing?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I hope they will keep GTK2 support and I wish someone would fork it and maintain it with bugfixes and improvements. There is no clean looking professional looking toolkit anymore. These days it is all just toy projects without decent structure or decent functionality. Thumbs up to wxwidgets , the only problem I have with it is that it is C++ and not pure C.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Does that DPI stuff also work on X11?

Comment

I'm surprised this is still maintained, I thought most had moved to Qt/GTK/else instead of using this.

Comment

updated: https://t2sde.org/packages/wxwidgets

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    I'm surprised this is still maintained, I thought most had moved to Qt/GTK/else instead of using this.
                    This isn't even good. It looked like gtk2, but had another layer of bloat on top of it. On top of that people are using bindings that add even more bloat.

Comment

Working...
                    X