Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.26 Continues Preparing More Features, More Plasma Wayland Fixes Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.26 Continues Preparing More Features, More Plasma Wayland Fixes Too

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.26 Continues Preparing More Features, More Plasma Wayland Fixes Too

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with another great weekly recap of all the interesting changes coming together in the KDE desktop space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The "Show Desktop" widget was renamed to "Peek at Desktop"
    To me, as a non native English speaker, "Show Desktop" sounds much more clear than "Peek at Desktop". It just sounds more complicated for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

To me, as a non native English speaker, "Show Desktop" sounds much more clear than "Peek at Desktop". It just sounds more complicated for no good reason.
      What did they smoke? It seems like a stoned joke to me, really. I'm not native English speaker neither, it's quite confusing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What did they smoke? It seems like a stoned joke to me, really. I'm not native English speaker neither, it's quite confusing for me.
        Not what I smoke.

Comment

ngraham

Could all the "Show" toggles be moved to the "View" Menu since they all toggle ways the application appears?

As an alternative, same as above only then move the entire View menu under Settings so it becomes Settings>View>View Settings.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

There's only one good thing about it: I learned a new word today. Thanks, Mr. Graham!

ngraham
            On a sidenote, it would've been better if you rolled back another change related to Show Desktop feature which was visible apps corners that were shown when Show Desktop was activated. It differentiated this effect from Minimise All better than now. Now it is just unclear whether Show Desktop or Minimise All has been activated: the result is (visually) the same.
            I am talking about this: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/691
            A very controversial change.
            Last edited by openminded; 16 July 2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Chiming in to say that I also dislike the "Peek at Desktop", adds nothing and divert from a long time used and understood sentence. Not least, it is famous to be used on the infantile "peek-a-boo" (well, perhaps, KDE developers are trying to attract the attention of 2-5 years old, who knows )

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

They're smoking LTT I think, because if I recall correctly, Linus complained about the Show Desktop widget.

Comment

I assume they're trying to draw the distinction that "Show" is a permanent settings change (eg. "Show Toolbar") and "Peek at" is a temporary thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    I assume they're trying to draw the distinction that "Show" is a permanent settings change (eg. "Show Toolbar") and "Peek at" is a temporary thing.
                    If so, they should use "Preview Desktop", that is other established sentence used on computing.

Comment

Working...
                    X