LightDM 1.32 Released With Various Fixes, Qt4 Support Finally Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LightDM 1.32 Released With Various Fixes, Qt4 Support Finally Removed

Phoronix: LightDM 1.32 Released With Various Fixes, Qt4 Support Finally Removed

Yesterday marked the release of LightDM 1.32 as the first official release of this display manager since 2019...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see! My Xfce desktop is really happy about this

Comment

LightDM was great, looks good and really well optimized.

Comment

AFAIK the only DM which allow rootless Xorg just now is gdm. SDDM support still unreleased, source code contains feature though. And there was hype that Xorg is no longer root since 2014. But only if you use startx

Comment

Does it support rootless X yet?

AIUI that is one of the biggest limitations in LightDM.

Comment

With Ubuntu differentiating itself less from Gnome, LightDM doesn't have much momentum. It still works well, but I've only seen one Wayland greeter [1] so there's not much to talk about and little incentive to switch from GDM.

[1] https://github.com/max-moser/lightdm-elephant-greeter

Comment

It's good to see these fixes en route to distros via a new version tag.

Comment

Meanwhile SDDM hasn't had a single commit in 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by decadarkness View Post
                  AFAIK the only DM which allow rootless Xorg just now is gdm. SDDM support still unreleased, source code contains feature though. And there was hype that Xorg is no longer root since 2014. But only if you use startx
                  Yes but it is right now buggy as hell. At some point I roll back sddm to version before rootless x because it was not usable at all. It slowly progresing but still not ready for daily use.

Comment

I prefer using startx from the TTY...

Comment

Working...
                    X