Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Send Stream v2 Support Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.20

Phoronix: Btrfs Send Stream v2 Support Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.20

The Btrfs send/receive functionality allows for generating a stream of changes between two sub-volume snapshots, which can be useful for efficient backup/archive purposes, among other uses. With the Linux 5.20 kernel is send/receive support for the new "stream v2" format...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Super useful for btrfs, especially since I had two total, unrecoverable, btrfs crashes in less than a year......Since then I stay away from it.

Comment

Still no native encryption like both ZFS and bcachefs have. Even Ext4 has native encryption today, albeit simple. Btrfs doesn't deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post
        Still no native encryption like both ZFS and bcachefs have. Even Ext4 has native encryption today, albeit simple. Btrfs doesn't deliver.
        Native encryption, stable RAID 5/6 support and more optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by karolbe View Post
          Super useful for btrfs, especially since I had two total, unrecoverable, btrfs crashes in less than a year......Since then I stay away from it.
          Huh? What were you doing?
          I'm using it on my homemade backup/media server NAS for years (at least 6) without issues. Hard drives die from time to time, but I could always simply remove the broken drive and add the new one. Boring, as it should. Raid1 ftw

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Huh? What were you doing?
            I'm using it on my homemade backup/media server NAS for years (at least 6) without issues. Hard drives die from time to time, but I could always simply remove the broken drive and add the new one. Boring, as it should. Raid1 ftw
            Me too. Around 4 Years now. Still the same drive pool just added 2 years ago some drives for more space. btw scrubing also finished allways without error.
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 20 July 2022, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by karolbe View Post
              how long is this ago? It is also quite likely that the controller was not working correctly? CAn find the link anymore but there was a article about btrfs done by a fs expert of facebook telling that btrfs was the only filesystem showing that there was a hidden corruption by hardware. It was so subtile that all the other systems havent noticed it. For him it was the point to start taking btrfs sireously.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post
                Still no native encryption like both ZFS and bcachefs have.
                Would be nice, I agree, as it would simplify the setup. But is it as secure as block based encryption? If I'm not mistaken you still leak metadata like file sizes.

Comment

No, it was not a controller or anything like this. I switched to ext4 on that drive and had no issues since then. It was around ~2 years ago. Funnily enough, in January someone switched to btrfs even though I told him to stay away from it had a total FS crash as well just after 4 months of using it :-)

Comment

This should simplify my backup setup (currently involving taking full snapshots, and just using rsync as delta tool)

Comment

Working...
                    X