No announcement yet.

FFmpeg 5.1 Released With Many Improvements To This Important Multimedia Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 5.1 Released With Many Improvements To This Important Multimedia Project

Phoronix: FFmpeg 5.1 Released With Many Improvements To This Important Multimedia Project

FFmpeg 5.1 "Riemann" was released on Friday afternoon as a new feature update to this widely-used, open-source multimedia project for video encode/decode and a variety of other purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any news regarding Dolby AC-4 audio support?

Comment

With great improvements come great depreciation. lets play the code up circus again fellas, well annoyances aside, proper avif support and jxl support are the big kings here. JXL is pretty darn good for stills, and avif beats all else in terms of animated pictures, (it better considering that avif has the full force of av1 behind it). now I can make avif animations without using scripts at least.

as for jxl, I was making some jxl videos and boy was that a bad idea, even compared to other all intra formats, jxl is painful. but JXL lossy compression is pretty great, it beats pretty much everything in lossy, and can throw punches with png for lossless. JXL animations are fine, but for anything more than a couple frames, avif is a better bet in most cases.

Comment

Still no support for decoding webp and doesn't look like anybody is picking it up: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4907

I myself don't know C, so there's that... but yeah would be nice if... somebody else would do it. *wink*

I fully realize I'm complaining and not offering anything :P
        Last edited by KoenDG; 25 July 2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I've compiled and installed it and nothing has broken. Wow. Needed to recompile mpv/audacious because they were linked to version 4.4.2.

Several months ago I tried version 5.0 and immediately gave up on it because Firefox didn't support it at the time.

Comment

Since everybody seems to mention their personal pet peeves with FFmpeg here, allow me to do the same:

Still no support for Google's Brotli compression on certain HLS video streams, which genuinely makes downloading certain XXX videos impossible!

Unbelievable that this isn't their highest priority right now...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
              Since everybody seems to mention their personal pet peeves with FFmpeg here, allow me to do the same:

Still no support for Google's Brotli compression on certain HLS video streams, which genuinely makes downloading certain XXX videos impossible!

Unbelievable that this isn't their highest priority right now...
              Is there any tangible benefit in compression with Brotli a video stream already lossly compressed?

Comment

The AAC quality is still really really poor

Comment

Still waiting for them to switch to some sensible bug tracker. Trac is some ancient dinosaur.

Comment

For those wondering about how the ipfs works, I looked at the commit and it uses the local running ipfs gateway. If ipfs is not running on your computer then it falls back to https://dweb.link . I wonder if that means that mpv will automatically support ipfs:// links.

Comment

Working...
                    X