KDE Plasma 5.26 Will Start Faster, Many Other KDE Improvements Abound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.26 Will Start Faster, Many Other KDE Improvements Abound

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.26 Will Start Faster, Many Other KDE Improvements Abound

Even with the summer heat, KDE developers remain very busy working towards Plasma 5.26 later this year as well as the next rounds of KDE Frameworks 5 and KDE application updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even faster start? That'd be neat. Though whole Plasma desktop already starts faster than Dropbox resource hog.
    But KRunner could still be faster, and especially not queue pressing of enter key for subsequent text inputs (hope this is not a feature, it'd be silly).

Comment

Nice that plasma will start faster. While it is already quite fast (I have not measured it but it feels like somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 seconds to me on my computer), it is still noticeably slower than xfce or cinnamon for example.

Comment

KDE is like Windows: a spaghetti of code.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
          KDE is like Windows: a spaghetti of code.
          Because you never ate spaghetti prepared at (my) home.

Comment

I love Kde for letting users customize it. For example, I hate dark colours, I hate bright colours, so I need to choose from custom colours.
            Last edited by nist; 24 July 2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Even faster start? That'd be neat. Though whole Plasma desktop already starts faster than Dropbox resource hog.
              But KRunner could still be faster, and especially not queue pressing of enter key for subsequent text inputs (hope this is not a feature, it'd be silly).
              I also wish that KRunner would display itself immediately instead of ~300-500 milliseconds after the hotkey is activated. I'm glad I am not the only one who experiences this annoying problem

Edit: The perceived experience of KRunner is just slow from my perspective as someone who (when required to be on Windows) uses Keypirinha which activates immediately (much faster than KRunner)

Comment

Originally posted by loligans View Post

I also wish that KRunner would display itself immediately instead of ~300-500 milliseconds after the hotkey is activated.
                aufkrawall , loligans : If you want KRunner to go faster, you can click on its configuration icon and tell it to use only what you need, for example those three:
                - "Applications"
                - "Calculator"
                - "Command Line"

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post

Because you never ate spaghetti prepared at (my) home.
                  I mean, I'm sure it tastes delicious, no doubt about that, but spaghetti are more likely to make the mouth dirty than other pasta. Same thing with software that is written with spaghetti code. It may be really cool and all, but spaghetti code will eventually start causing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by loligans View Post

I also wish that KRunner would display itself immediately instead of ~300-500 milliseconds after the hotkey is activated. I'm glad I am not the only one who experiences this annoying problem

Edit: The perceived experience of KRunner is just slow from my perspective as someone who (when required to be on Windows) uses Keypirinha which activates immediately (much faster than KRunner)
                    The real problem with KRunner isn't that it shows up slowly. It's that it doesn't capture input in a timely manner. It often happen that you press Alt+spacebar, start typing and your input instead of going to KRunner, goes to whatever window you had active before. Needless to say, this can cause some pretty nasty issues.
                    Still KRunner is a great, great tool. You just need to learn to break your workflow and wait for it to show up.

Comment

Working...
                    X