Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NsCDE 2.2 Released As Retro Desktop Inspired By Unix's CDE

Phoronix: NsCDE 2.2 Released As Retro Desktop Inspired By Unix's CDE

NsCDE 2.2 has been released as the newest feature version of the "Not so Common Desktop Environment" that takes its inspiration from the CDE desktop once common with Unix workstations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's so beautiful! I need a system crammed into a 1990's SUN pizza box form factor to really run it right.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      It's so beautiful! I need a system crammed into a 1990's SUN pizza box form factor to really run it right.
      Sun, HP, DEC, IBM, everyone used CDE back then. The days when you had to pay money to license the Motif library. Haven't heard of NsCDE before, but they appear to have done a great job at emulating the original look/feel.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 25 July 2022, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Every time you look at some NASA broadcast or similar, pay attention to their computer screens. More often than not you'll see CDE there

I did set up original CDE on my OpenBSD desktop when it was released as open source, just for the fun of it. It was slightly buggy and had some rough edges so I switched back to my XFCE, which I also dress to look much like original CDE. I'll definitely give this NsCDE a try once I find some time ...

Comment

Nice to see a project like this get covered on Phoronix! I've seen it get covered by Robonuggie who is a FreeBSD youtuber and someone did a rice of it for OpenBSD on the OpenBSD reddit.

Comment

That takes me back to horrible (HP-UX) and fun times (Solaris).
            I might actually give it a try!

Comment

Does it work on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post
                That takes me back to horrible (HP-UX) and fun times (Solaris).
                I still use Solaris (10 I think?) w/ CDE for my oldest (pre-2005) products. :-/ To be fair, support of them is very rare. We still had Sun workstations until a few years ago when everything got switched to Exceed onDemand via Oracle servers.

Looks like Arch AUR has NsCDE, though it's currently orphaned (easily fixed with a PKGBUILD update and `updpkgsums`):

Comment

It is also available on FreeBSD...

Comment

CDE was so awful. It needs to die in a fiery death. Same goes for Motif.
                    Last edited by brad0; 25 July 2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X