Latte Dock Development Officially Ends As Popular KDE Desktop Dock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latte Dock Development Officially Ends As Popular KDE Desktop Dock

Phoronix: Latte Dock Development Officially Ends As Popular KDE Desktop Dock

For the past several years Latte Dock has been a popular macOS-like "dock" for the KDE Plasma desktop but development has now ceased...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dang, Gnome 3 is wacky, KDE is over-engineered and buggy, I hoped at least Unity 8 to have come by now but apparently it's dead on the Linux desktop.

Comment

I'm sure this sucks for the people that use Latte Dock. It looks like it was still being worked on until the past few weeks. Because of that, IMHO, there should have been a 0.11 farewell release.

I don't use or even like icon only launchers so this doesn't effect me one way or the other, but for those this does effect, hopefully the article will generate some buzz and someone will step up to maintain it.

Michael You look a bit grumpy in the new photo.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I'm sure this sucks for the people that use Latte Dock. It looks like it was still being worked on until the past few weeks. Because of that, IMHO, there should have been a 0.11 farewell release.
        Seeing how people tend to expect a commitment from people who work for free, I think it's quite rational to avoid things like "farewell releases". It would give those people the wrong vibes about what's going to happen next (unmaintained release, no attention to bug reports).

Comment

Same as skeevy420, Latte is too macOS for my taste, so I wasn't using it. But it is a great showcase of what KDE's flexibility enables people to build. Because of that, I'm still sorry to see it go. But being perpetually in need of time myself, I can understand the developer having to let go.
          Last edited by bug77; 28 July 2022, 03:17 AM.

Comment

I wish the standard KDE could offer different options when log in, ie KDE plasma, KDE macosx style, KDE unity style. Each with different plugins installed by default etc

Comment

No matter what I am going to use it till it stops working. That's a very cool and flexible dock. Thanks for all your efforts Michail!

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                I wish the standard KDE could offer different options when log in, ie KDE plasma, KDE macosx style, KDE unity style. Each with different plugins installed by default etc
                I think that belongs to the distro/packagers. Maybe provide some sample configurations to make that easier would be cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Michael You look a bit grumpy in the new photo.
                  classic "i'm father of a toddler"-face ...you should have seen my pic of the first ID card of my company and from the current one

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                    It's built into themes, afaik. Themes can define both colors, decorations and actual desktop layout.
                    Logging in however, is not handled by Plasma, Gnome, Xfce or any other desktop environment. Logging in is the job of a display manager. And no, SDDM is not part of the KDE project.

Comment

Working...
                    X