Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Optimization Patch Wants AMD's PSP To Cool Down

Phoronix: Linux Optimization Patch Wants AMD's PSP To Cool Down

The newest AMD Linux optimization patch for the kernel aims to introduce a cool down period for the AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP) after each I2C transaction between the x86 CPU and the PSP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anybody acutally voluntarily using this ominous black box? Even if it was a fast crypto accelerator or something, I wouldn't trust some black box that nobody from the normal world could audit/review.
    And - as predicted - this kind of chips is dangerous for spying upon you and limiting your freedom by digital restriction management (see new Pluton chips on Lenovo devices which hamper installation of real operating systems).
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

0.1s delay is enormous, can someone spell out the exact benefit?

Comment

Can we skip with the cool down and just remove it ? I know they won't but still would be the best option.

Comment

Fuck you AMD!
          You are disgusting with this and Pluton!
          I hope in the future the EU starts designing its own CPUs instead of using the US spyware-embedded CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Fuck you AMD!
            I hope in the future the EU starts designing its own CPUs instead of using the US spyware-embedded CPUs.
            I agree with you except for I wouldn't trust any EU made CPU's either. It's not like they don't like to spy on their own citizens. EU spyware is no better than US spyware.

Comment

Fuck you AMD!
              Enjoy your 240p video streams or black screen on systems with weak DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                0.1s delay is enormous, can someone spell out the exact benefit?
                The driver has to request and release control of the i2c block from the PSP firmware, and that takes time.
                With this change the driver keeps ownership of i2c a bit longer after finishing a transaction, which should help
                speed up completion of any follow-up transactions that might come. After the "cooldown" timer has expired,
                the driver releases control to the psp again.

Comment

Fuck you AMD!
                  PSP was designed in the EU... (at the time)

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Enjoy your 240p video streams or black screen on systems with weak DRM.
                    I'll keep watching my videos with as many p's as possible, even on systems with no DRM thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                    X