KDE's Dolphin Gets A Dedicated Selection Mode, Full-Screen Mode For Elisa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Dolphin Gets A Dedicated Selection Mode, Full-Screen Mode For Elisa

Phoronix: KDE's Dolphin Gets A Dedicated Selection Mode, Full-Screen Mode For Elisa

KDE developers had another busy summertime week adding more features to their open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That sounds very useful. Anyone that has ever CTRL-Clicked a hundred random files and then accidentally deselected all of them only to have to start over will appreciate that.

Thanks for not mentioning the phrase "Bug Fixes" in the headline.

Comment

Features like this is why KDE will always be my preferences for productivity.

Also, finally KWin property stays open. That shit was annoying.

Comment

I don't find ELISA to be a good replacement for VLC media player (even for audio alone) because it can't open an old-style removable disk loaded into a computer's optical drive a CD). Some day, I might burn my large collection of old CDs to FLAC 'albums' within a searchable directory - but I haven't done that yet. VLC can do that.

Comment

Couple KDE thoughts/questions.

I've mentioned in the past, and not complaining here, just seeing if anyone knows current status. When I have installed KDE in the past, I notice it puts all the KDE configuration files in the root of "~/.config", which to me feels like it clutters up to root of my config folder. I mentioned it would be nice if things were "namespaced" in their own KDE folder (e.g. "~/.config/KDE5" or whatever; even if in a couple/few folders where it makes sense to keep things separate.

One question that has stumped me. What is the difference between KDE and Plasma? My best guess seems to be that KDE in the organization and Plasma is the full desktop environment, but I don't know. So KDE Plama would be the equivalent of the full Gnome Desktop. Is that correct, or is it something else?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
            One question that has stumped me. What is the difference between KDE and Plasma? My best guess seems to be that KDE in the organization and Plasma is the full desktop environment, but I don't know. So KDE Plasma would be the equivalent of the full Gnome Desktop. Is that correct, or is it something else?
            Thanks!
            It's something like that (http://kde.org/community/whatiskde/)

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
              Couple KDE thoughts/questions.

I've mentioned in the past, and not complaining here, just seeing if anyone knows current status. When I have installed KDE in the past, I notice it puts all the KDE configuration files in the root of "~/.config", which to me feels like it clutters up to root of my config folder. I mentioned it would be nice if things were "namespaced" in their own KDE folder (e.g. "~/.config/KDE5" or whatever; even if in a couple/few folders where it makes sense to keep things separate.

One question that has stumped me. What is the difference between KDE and Plasma? My best guess seems to be that KDE in the organization and Plasma is the full desktop environment, but I don't know. So KDE Plama would be the equivalent of the full Gnome Desktop. Is that correct, or is it something else?

Thanks!
              I have some old .folders laying around in my home but I guess all the new stuff is under .config as there the mtimes are way newer.
              Anyway, I never understood the problem people have with hidden files and folders in there home directory.

Correct, KDE was growing to be more then "just" a desktop (apps, framework ...) so now Plasma is the desktop and KDE is the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by rickst29 View Post
                I don't find ELISA to be a good replacement for VLC media player (even for audio alone) because it can't open an old-style removable disk loaded into a computer's optical drive a CD). Some day, I might burn my large collection of old CDs to FLAC 'albums' within a searchable directory - but I haven't done that yet. VLC can do that.
                In my opinion VLC may have a good interface but its audio playback engine still has a pitch shifting defect which happens when VLC feels like "synchronizing to the system clock", as if a sound card would output 44100Hz at an inexact rate.

Comment

Originally posted by rickst29 View Post
                  This works in the 22.12 release; the "Files" view is rooted at /, rather than ~, so you can use it to navigate to your removable disk if you'd like. As a further refinement, we could add all currently-mounted removable volumes to the sidebar for quick access. That would probably be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

As a further refinement, we could add all currently-mounted removable volumes to the sidebar for quick access. That would probably be nice.
                    Sounds overly complicated.

Granted i have not used Elisa or played an audio CD on a computer for a long while. But should not the audio be accessible in all KDE applications, Elisa included, by the audiocd kio-worker? And quick access by simply putting audiocd: in the sidebar?

Comment

Working...
                    X