Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Marketshare Crawls Up To 1.27% For August 2022

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Marketshare Crawls Up To 1.27% For August 2022

Valve just published the Steam Survey results for August 2022 that show a slight increase to Linux gaming as part of the overall marketshare on a percentage basis...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic! Glad to see it. Steam Deck is doing wonders for Linux gaming. I love mine to death.

Comment

i finally got the steam survey today on linux

Comment

If Steam Deck is 13.69% of linux users, and linux share is 1.27, then non-Steam Deck linux share is (1 - 0.1369)*1.27 = 1.096 percent. I do not think I have seen such high (in relative terms) figure before the Deck.

Obviously, unless we know more about the methodology we cannot say much about the value of these numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
          i finally got the steam survey today on linux
          In over 11 years of using Steam I’ve gotten the survey one time… when I was signed in to a NUC with a Celeron 847E last month to see if it would play Sim City 4 🤦‍♂️

I feel like that is the most useless contribution to the survey as it does not actually reflect my true Steam hardware utilization….

…. but I enjoy seeing legacy devices represented so ✌️ I guess

Comment

Valve sold a few Steam Decks (e.g. i no body know who buy it) and SteamOS now is the first place. Funny .

Comment

Originally posted by otoomet View Post
              If Steam Deck is 13.69% of linux users, and linux share is 1.27, then non-Steam Deck linux share is (1 - 0.1369)*1.27 = 1.096 percent. I do not think I have seen such high (in relative terms) figure before the Deck.

Obviously, unless we know more about the methodology we cannot say much about the value of these numbers.
              The Steam Deck allows Linux to feel accessible.

I am optimistic that more KDE users will contribute to an improved KDE experience over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

The Steam Deck allows Linux to feel accessible.

I am optimistic that more KDE users will contribute to an improved KDE experience over time.
                gamers are the most entitled and ungrateful userbase one could wish for. i am not exactly thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

gamers are the most entitled and ungrateful userbase one could wish for. i am not exactly thrilled.
                  Can you believe the cheeky bastards expect their hardware and software to run their games? I've seen them drop to desktop mode and expect things like copying and pasting to work (I'm looking at you KDE, in the past not a good track record, although much better lately)

Such an entitlement, so much ungratefulness, expecting things to work...

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
                    Valve sold a few Steam Decks (e.g. i no body know who buy it) and SteamOS now is the first place. Funny .
                    Funny? It's quite sad really - it shows how few Linux users actually game. Or it shows how few Linux users are there overall. I guess both are true.

Comment

Working...
                    X