Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases 180.60 Linux Display Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases 180.60 Linux Display Driver

It has been two or three weeks since we were last presented with a new display driver from NVIDIA for Linux, whether it be in their 180.xx or 185.xx series, a stable release, a beta release, or any of their legacy driver updates. This timespan is quite long compared to the past few months where they have released as many as five Linux drivers per month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"This timespan is quite long compared to the past few months where they have released as many as five Linux drivers per month. "

After this sentence I can have a nice day!

I love phoronix articles about NVIDIA. There's always something comic in it!
    Last edited by bulletxt; 13 May 2009, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Well a a new beta driver with better quadro/dp support would be nice too

Comment

Two-three weeks gap? I guess Phoronix has missed some Nvidia action while tracking AMD and Intel stuff (which is awesome too - the open-source stuff). There has been quite some activity - on May 5, a couple of releases were made - which had some benefits and some regressions. It is strange is that 185.18.08 was even used for the Phoronix article on Radeon 4770.

And 180.60 is listed as pre-release too.

Also, to me, 185.18.04 is the best driver at the moment (on my 9800M GS).

Comment

Specs released?

Still no hardware programming specifications from NVIDIA.
          AMD released more specs again.
          In the mean time, do *not* buy NVIDIA, *buy* AMD if you have have a bit of care for GPL software. Tell your friends to tell their friends: do not mention the name nvidia, just talk about AMD and "the rest".

Comment

I've bought AMD just recently (HD4770). I'm waiting for Catalyst 9.5. I'm hoping the desktop experience with Catalyst 9.5 is as good as on nVidia (7900GT, can't speak for the higher cards, never used one). I'm talking about Compiz. nVidia is silky smooth no matter what you do with it, including 3D acceleration in VMware while compiz is running, playing movies while using enhanced desktop zoom, working alpha blur, etc.

I like AMD's approach, they're doing good things with ATI's assets. But obviously they've got some work to do to catch up with nVidia on the proprietary driver front. On the open source front, well.. they're going great. I can rest assured that in the end, my HD4770 will function with open source drivers with 3D acceleration, regardless of whether AMD drops support for them from Catalyst (which will happen eventually I suspect, like what happened with <=R500 recently). Good for hardware longevity that's for sure.

Comment

05-05-09: Updated current BETA release to 185.18.08
              05-05-09: Added 180.37.05 as the current OpenGL 3.1 beta release
              so it was 9 days...

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
                Still no hardware programming specifications from NVIDIA.
                AMD released more specs again.
                In the mean time, do *not* buy NVIDIA, *buy* AMD if you have have a bit of care for GPL software. Tell your friends to tell their friends: do not mention the name nvidia, just talk about AMD and "the rest".
                My PC, My Rules. Please to stop trying to dictate what software and hardware I can use on my PC.
                I use NVIDIA hardware and drivers because its my right to choose them. I don't necessarily agree with not releasing the specs or the source but I respect there decision and eagerly await the day Nouveau can compete with them.
                If you don't like the way they do things don't use it. Simple.

Don't know about anyone else but I've had about enough of people like sylware who think they can dictate what others are allowed to use. Linux is suppose to be about freedom but my taking away freedom to choose between open and close source software that freedom is instantly destroyed. End rant (not exactly the way I wanted me first post here to be)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisn View Post
                  My PC, My Rules. Please to stop trying to dictate what software and hardware I can use on my PC.
                  I use NVIDIA hardware and drivers because its my right to choose them. I don't necessarily agree with not releasing the specs or the source but I respect there decision and eagerly await the day Nouveau can compete with them.
                  If you don't like the way they do things don't use it. Simple.

Don't know about anyone else but I've had about enough of people like sylware who think they can dictate what others are allowed to use. Linux is suppose to be about freedom but my taking away freedom to choose between open and close source software that freedom is instantly destroyed. End rant (not exactly the way I wanted me first post here to be)
                  Whoa.. easy m'boy. I can Quarante no one's dictate you to use what kind o' hardware. It's just a suggestion from someone to the other. Please read it cold-headed.
                  And yeah, he's use it, I gues

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                    Whoa.. easy m'boy. I can Quarante no one's dictate you to use what kind o' hardware. It's just a suggestion from someone to the other. Please read it cold-headed.
                    And yeah, he's use it, I gues
                    And your comments relate to the release of a new driver how? Shall we all go into the ati forum and start commenting on totally unrealated threads "If you want a driver that works and is full featured go buy an nvidia." Lets please try to keep the NV vs ATI bullshit to a ATI vs Nvidia thread and not keep turning these announcements into the constant flame wars. If it was a thread asking for KMS support in the NV blobs fine then say "ATI has a opensource driver that allows it."

Comment

Working...
                    X