Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 43.1 To Support Wayland On The AMD-Xilinx Kria KR260

Phoronix: GNOME 43.1 To Support Wayland On The AMD-Xilinx Kria KR260

Earlier this year AMD-Xilinx announced a Linux-powered robotics starter kit making use of Xilinx's Kria KR26 SOM featuring a Zynq Ultrascale+ with four Cortex-A53 cores and Mali graphics. While robotics focused, there is a DisplayPort output and over the summer Canonical has been working to get this board playing nicely with a Wayland-powered GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is actually a very good thing.
    Gnome desktop is mostly tested on AMD and Intel GPU's using the latest Mesa interfaces (things like libgbm and EGL).
    Then there's of course the usual set of workarounds for the NVidia blobs.

But for users running embedded systems like those with closed source Mali drivers from ARM it used to run like crap.
    That's mostly because Gnome expects that the driver implements the latest and greatest GBM implementation, while my drivers were missing things like gbm_bo_map/unmap and support for modifiers.
    Then there was the case where the Mali driver exposes EGL_KHR_platform_gbm instead of EGL_MESA_platform_gbm, so I ended up hex patching the driver.

So thanks Daniel, je bent de bom!

Comment

As far as i know the UltraScale+ has a very old very small Mali 400 MP2.

It was included in Android Devices realeased ~10 years ago and in a "MP4" version typically, so 4 cores instead of 2.
      It is OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant, but does not support Vulkan or OpenGL ES 3.x
      Don´t expect any wonders from it.
      The driver stack on the Xilinx platform is a littlebit special as well, as the output to the display is handled by the FPGA and the GPU just renders to a plane which is processed by some video IP-Core in the FPGA, so mode setting and such works via a xilinx driver which talks to the IP-Core and needs to be compatible with it.

Wonder how all this is implemented in Ubuntu, as some of the IP-Cores don´t have a stable register interface and the linux kernel drivers must match the IP-Core version. Furthermore some are out of tree and not mainlined in the kernel (like Video Mixer): https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wi...50/Video+Mixer

But don´t be fooled by the old GPU, their IP-Cores support things like 12bit Output for HDR and such
      Last edited by Spacefish; 25 September 2022, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I really wonder why they use proprietary driver while lima has been stable and usable for at least couple years. Moreover it works with Gnome just fine

Comment

Working...
        X