Ubuntu 22.10 Beta Released For Linux 5.19 + GNOME 43 Powered Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.10 Beta Released For Linux 5.19 + GNOME 43 Powered Linux Desktop

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.10 Beta Released For Linux 5.19 + GNOME 43 Powered Linux Desktop

On Thursday night Canonical released the beta of next month's Ubuntu 22.10 "Kinetic Kudu" Linux distribution update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa 22.0 is kinda old, I hope for at least 22.2 when released and when Mesa 22.3 ships they should upgrade to it because it's a huge release.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Mesa 22.0 is kinda old, I hope for at least 22.2 when released and when Mesa 22.3 ships they should upgrade to it because it's a huge release.
      Debian Testing already has 22.2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Typo, should be 22.2. Fixed now thanks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nice, looking forward for it.

Comment

Unlike my previous attempt to upgrade to 22.04, the upgrade to 22.10 completed successfully. However, I did downgrade the video drivers from the nvidia to nouveau drivers so that I could use ' sudo do-release-upgrade -d' from a virtual console rather than under the GUI. Upgrades while running the graphical interface just seem to go wrong all too often.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better if they integrated the 6.0 kernel so as to benefit from the performance patch for AMD CPU's ??

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
                Wouldn't it be better if they integrated the 6.0 kernel so as to benefit from the performance patch for AMD CPU's ??

https://www.theregister.com/2022/09/..._amd_acpi_fix/
                Ubuntu doesn't ship stock kernels and does backport some patches. The patch for the AMD fix adds a couple of comments and 2 short lines of code. The only deletion is a comment which the patch replaces with an updated one. It would not be much of a burden for Canonical to apply it to their 5.19 kernel.

Comment

Michael

Typo/Grammar:

"Ubuntu 22.10 is powered by the Linux 5.19 stable kernel, offers the latest GNOME 43 packages on the desktop, Debuginfod integration for better debugging experience, WebP image support out-of-the-box, support for more RISC-V boards, PipeWire is used by default, optimized the OpenSSH server memory use, Mesa 22.2 for the latest open-source OpenGL/Vulkan drivers, and a plethora of package updates over the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS version from this past spring."

Relax, you're two tense!

All the highlighted are consistently present tense...except optimized, as used, ends up past tense.

Maybe "PipeWire is used by default,​ OpenSSH server memory is optimized, " instead.

Comment

Working...
                  X