Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.1 Graphics Driver Work Includes Intel Arc Improvements, New AMD GPU IP Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1 Graphics Driver Work Includes Intel Arc Improvements, New AMD GPU IP Blocks

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 Graphics Driver Work Includes Intel Arc Improvements, New AMD GPU IP Blocks

The Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) / Kernel Mode-Setting (KMS) driver updates have been submitted for the Linux 6.1 merge window. As usual, much of the interesting display/graphics driver work is happening within the open-source Intel and AMD Radeon drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so DG2 will still require force probing on 6.1?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
      so DG2 will still require force probing on 6.1?
      As of right now, yes. We'll see if that changes or not though....
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

still haven't managed to get vaapi encode OR decode on the DG2 on arch and fedora. hoping that changes soon

Comment

i have to say the dg2 is actually pretty impressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Sl8W-RQH0
          its ray tracing performance is quite strong. stronger than amd, and nearly matches nvidia. overall, its gaming performance is actually quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
            i have to say the dg2 is actually pretty impressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Sl8W-RQH0
            its ray tracing performance is quite strong. stronger than amd, and nearly matches nvidia. overall, its gaming performance is actually quite good.
            Yeah. Of course on the gpu side, most tech sites and youtubers seem to borderline shill for Nvidia and have been doing that since forever.... They always attempted to make Nvidia look better than AMD and now Intel. Those new dgpus aren't nearly as bad as they claim, especially considering the driver situation in both Windows and Linux. There is a lot of room for performance improvements in the long run for Intel hardware. If you are not too much of an enthousiast gamer and you tend to keep your hardware for more than a year, Intel could be a nice buy, it will definitely age better as drivers mature.

Comment

its ray tracing performance is quite strong. stronger than amd, and nearly matches nvidia.
              it not just matches nvidia, depending on the case it crushes it. But thats not really important since ray tracing is still not mature enough and it still requires a huge amount of processing power that is only really usable with FSR/DLSS even on higher end cards.

overall, its gaming performance is actually quite good.
              On this point i disagree. Sure, in D3D12 and Vulkan its more or less fine but if you need OpenGL, or older D3D11 APIs the performance is horrible.

I'm sure that the hardware has much more potential and for that price point, why not. but it depends now how Intel will maintain the software support for it even after the release of the next hardware iteration.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                it not just matches nvidia, depending on the case it crushes it. But thats not really important since ray tracing is still not mature enough and it still requires a huge amount of processing power that is only really usable with FSR/DLSS even on higher end cards.

On this point i disagree. Sure, in D3D12 and Vulkan its more or less fine but if you need OpenGL, or older D3D11 APIs the performance is horrible.

I'm sure that the hardware has much more potential and for that price point, why not. but it depends now how Intel will maintain the software support for it even after the release of the next hardware iteration.
                OpenGL performance on Windows may be horrible, but the Gallium3D OpenGL performance is pretty damn good! Gallium-Nine will probably perform well too, I'm looking forward to see somebody benchmarking it.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                X