Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Driver Lands Multi-Slice Video Encoding For AVC/HEVC

Phoronix: RadeonSI Driver Lands Multi-Slice Video Encoding For AVC/HEVC

AMD has been on a streak recently of improving their open-source video acceleration capabilities for the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the main advantage of optimizing video codecs? After all, the previous version was most likely already able to encode full-screen video in real time. Also, improving the performance of old hardware might hurt the sales of more recent hardware.

Comment

It will be nice that with all these video encoding improvements, one day Valve will activate In-Home streaming from Linux hosts too!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        It will be nice that with all these video encoding improvements, one day Valve will activate In-Home streaming from Linux hosts too!
        Can't you already do this? I use the steam link app on my phone sometimes to play games from my Fedora box

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post

Can't you already do this? I use the steam link app on my phone sometimes to play games from my Fedora box
          Last time I tried it was working from Windows host only, but I'm glad to hear that this is no loger the only option!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Last time I tried it was working from Windows host only, but I'm glad to hear that this is no loger the only option!
            Yep, you can stream from a Windows PC to Steam Deck or vice versa, as an example.

Comment

Working...
            X