Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 14 Codenamed "Forky"

Phoronix: Debian 14 Codenamed "Forky"

The upcoming Debian GNU/Linux 12 release is codenamed "Bookworm" and is expected to be released in 2023. Meanwhile Debian 13 will be out around 2024 and it was already announced under the Trixie codename. Now today it's been announced that Debian 14 come 2024 will also be known as the "Forky" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile Debian 13 will be out around 2024
    Did I miss the news, or is Debian switching to yearly releases starting with Debian 12?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Did I miss the news, or is Debian switching to yearly releases starting with Debian 12?
      Typo, fixed thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Awful name!

Comment

Does anyone know how those codenames are decided ?

Is it like with your buddies that someone starts to give a nickname which suits to some noticible treats or the appearence. Sloppy Joe, Bulky Bert....and the name matures until the new release cycle is started and its just called out to the public.

Or do they sit together with the marketing guys discussing seriously a name during a dedicated meeting - one after another is presenting the associated meaning of the codename supported by some internal poll and political correctness evaluations?

Or is it someone way up the ladder deciding on his own what the name is going to be and then its done?

Or is it the team goes to the lunch casually and everyone is going to throw some name and the one who is liked the most is going to be picked?

This question is meant seriously - not a joke. I was always wondering how projects got their codenames.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            Does anyone know how those codenames are decided ?
            The names come from the Toy Story. At the time of the Debian 1.1 release the project leader was working for Pixar ( Bruce Perens )

Comment

honestly, i don't care about their naming schemes.

but i would REALLY appreciate they could offer aliases on the mirrors with simply version numbers. it's a never ending headache to me figuring out which release is which.

especially buster vs bullseye - from the top of your head, which one do you think is newer?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                honestly, i don't care about their naming schemes.

but i would REALLY appreciate they could offer aliases on the mirrors with simply version numbers. it's a never ending headache to me figuring out which release is which.

especially buster vs bullseye - from the top of your head, which one do you think is newer?
                What I usually do is just replace the codename with the type of branch it is. So for example in my sources.list, I'll replace all instances of "bullseye" with "stable" and then I never really have to worry about distro upgrades.

Comment

FInally a good name!

Comment

The naming scheme for Debian is quite lighthearted and witty and I am sure most everyone has heard of the Toy Story film?

Comment

Working...
                    X