Intel Sends Out Meteor Lake & Sierra Forest Patches For The GCC Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends Out Meteor Lake & Sierra Forest Patches For The GCC Compiler

Phoronix: Intel Sends Out Meteor Lake & Sierra Forest Patches For The GCC Compiler

Intel has today sent out new compiler patches as they work to get their next-generation processors all set for the open-source GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), including the introduction of some new x86_64 instruction set extensions coming with the high core count Sierra Forest processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No AVX-512 even for Meteor Lake? That's disappointing!

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      No AVX-512 even for Meteor Lake? That's disappointing!
      Thought so too but it is coming to E cores for sierra forest, that means that the next consumer chip Arrow Lake could include AVX-512.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        Thought so too but it is coming to E cores for sierra forest,
        Huh? Where did you see that?

It makes no sense for them to be adding things like AVX-IFMA, if Sierra Forest also had AVX-512. As the article points out, AVX-512 already has that capability. Otherwise, I'd be hoping Intel was just holding off tipping their hand until the last minute.

Comment

Michael

Grammar/typo

"The Sierra Forest compiler patches sent out today beyond enabling the "sierraforest" compiler target enable new instructions to be found with the 2024-timed E cores."

should probably be something like

"The Sierra Forest compiler patches sent out today go beyond enabling the "sierraforest" compiler target and enable new instructions found in the 2024-timed E cores."

Comment

The new Architecture manual doesn't show any differences between Sierra Forest and Grand Ridge, except that Sierra Forest apparently has an integrated GPU. I believe Grand Ridge was always described as being composed of some type of Gracemont derivative, so perhaps these chips have the same cores.

Comment

Originally posted by jayN View Post
              The new Architecture manual doesn't show any differences between Sierra Forest and Grand Ridge, except that Sierra Forest apparently has an integrated GPU.
              Well, if Grand Ridge is a Snow Ridge successor, then I wouldn't expect an iGPU as it's targeted at the 5G basestation vertical.

Sierra Forrest is shown in their roadmaps as a new server product tier. I'm a little surprised it has an iGPU, but maybe they're trying to reduce the BoM cost of servers by eliminating the need for a supplementary GPU chip.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17259...-xeons-in-2024

Originally posted by jayN View Post
              I believe Grand Ridge was always described as being composed of some type of Gracemont derivative, so perhaps these chips have the same cores.
              Yeah, that's a little interesting as it suggests Grand Ridge is either skipping a generation of E-cores or it's 2 generations after Snow Ridge.

BTW, do you see an ISA differences between Sapphire and Emerald Rapids? I forget if Emerald is merely supposed to have Raptor Cove cores, though I'd guess so.
              Last edited by coder; 15 October 2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                Huh? Where did you see that?

It makes no sense for them to be adding things like AVX-IFMA, if Sierra Forest also had AVX-512. As the article points out, AVX-512 already has that capability. Otherwise, I'd be hoping Intel was just holding off tipping their hand until the last minute.
                Sorry Coder, just misread the article the line "VX-512 world there is already IFMA" threw me for a loop. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X