Linux 6.1 Brings VirtIO Block "Secure Erase", vDPA Feature Provisioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1 Brings VirtIO Block "Secure Erase", vDPA Feature Provisioning

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 Brings VirtIO Block "Secure Erase", vDPA Feature Provisioning

The VirtIO changes were merged this week for the Linux 6.1 merge window that is ending this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

neogiated

'Nuff said.
    Thanks for fixing the typo.
    Last edited by OmniNegro; 15 October 2022, 02:07 PM. Reason: Typo was corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
      neogiated

'Nuff said.
      Thanks for fixing the typo.
      What about devies and faciliate?

Comment

The word was misspelled. I said that word to draw attention to it. It was fixed and I bothered to edit my post to reflect that. Why are you pressing the issue?

Comment

So does this mean I can secure erase my ssds / nvmes inside my Linux environment now instead of having to use the utility in my bios?

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
            So does this mean I can secure erase my ssds / nvmes inside my Linux environment now instead of having to use the utility in my bios?
            You can do it with nvme format probably since the introduction of nvme itself. Though it is usually a cryptographic erase, i.e. most drives are writing data blocks encrypted (even if the drive is not officially in the "self-encrypted" state with OPAL) and it only changes the key firmware uses to do it. Hence it may fail to do it effectively, if the firmware is buggy or somewhat compromised, and there is no practical way to verify.

Comment

Working...
            X