Coreboot/Dasharo Being Ported To The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot/Dasharo Being Ported To The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 Motherboard

Phoronix: Coreboot/Dasharo Being Ported To The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 Motherboard

Earlier this year Coreboot and the Dasharo downstream were ported to the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 motherboard. This was very exciting in that a current-generation Intel desktop motherboard could run Coreboot and readily available through various Internet retailers. But many inquired about whether the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 variant would see similar support and now that too is being worked on...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DDR5 integrates ECC chips. If I'm not wrong it is one of the main requests Trovalds has asked for RAM's system. I don't imagine what benefits ECC chip could yield by linux kernel or in general as hardware feature avoiding software involvement or errors.
    Last edited by MorrisS.; 21 October 2022, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      DDR5 integrates ECC chips. If I'm not wrong it is one of the main requests Trovalds has asked for RAMs system. I don't imagine what benefits ECC chip could yield by linux kernel or in general as hardware feature avoiding software involvement or errors.
      I have hear this line so many times already, so, one more time...
      DDR5 has on-die ECC, which is NOT the same as the end-to-end ECC that you get with traditional ECC modules (Which also exists in DDR5 form) where you have an additional chip per Rank for data redundancy.

Comment

Working...
      X