Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memtest86+ v6.0 Released As Rewritten Open-Source RAM Tester

Phoronix: memtest86+ v6.0 Released As Rewritten Open-Source RAM Tester

Memtest86+ v6.0 has been released for this open-source system memory (RAM) testing utility. Memtest86+ v6.0 is the first major release of this program in nearly a decade and comes as a complete rewrite to better deal with modern hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I waited so long for a UEFI Implementation. <3
    Great work!

Comment

Wow, this came right out of the blue! I had written Memtest86+ off already years ago and thought it was completely abandoned! Apparently miracles do still happen

Comment

In case you have some issue or find a shortcoming in the open source fork, there's always PassMark's commercial MemTest86. I'm not affiliated with it, just mentioning it to hopefully avoid any confusion between the two.

For a detailed explanation of the history and differences vs Memtest86+, PassMark has written a nice post, here:

Last edited by coder; 25 October 2022, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I've ended up using PassMark's Memtest86 for a long time, but I'd be happy to do some beta testing with the properly-FOSS version. I've been wanting this to support UEFI for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by CTTY View Post
            I waited so long for a UEFI Implementation. <3
            Great work!
            Yeah, I started using MemTest86 because of this. The demo is not so great but atleast it starts without switching CSM on. Finally back to the good old MemTest86+, already downloading to my dedicated test USB stick.

Comment

Can it test ECC by issuing error injections?

Comment

Too bad rowhammer test is not there yet

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  In case you have some issue or find a shortcoming in the open source fork, there's always PassMark's commercial MemTest86. I'm not affiliated with it, just mentioning it to hopefully avoid any confusion between the two.

For a detailed explanation of the history and differences vs Memtest86+, PassMark has written a nice post, here:
                  PassMark's post is indeed quite informative about the history. Whoever is behind that account didn't mention the main technical drawback of the pure UEFI approach chosen in their proprietary and partially commercial offering, or the fact that memtest86+ 6.00 is not limited to 16 cores - unlike the no-fee version of the proprietary memtest86. However, defending their business model is fair game, and it's a fact that the no-fee and commercial versions of their proprietary offering have a number of technical capabilities that memtest86+ does not (yet) have

Disclaimer: I'm from the other side, though a minor contributor and recent, lesser maintainer.
                  Last edited by debrouxl; 25 October 2022, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I personally found memtest86 rather slow in finding errors. I much rather use google's stressapptest, I only wish it was included in the main repo of more distro's.

Comment

Working...
                    X