No announcement yet.

MPV 0.35 Media Player Released With PipeWire Backend, Wayland DMA-BUF Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV 0.35 Media Player Released With PipeWire Backend, Wayland DMA-BUF Support

Phoronix: MPV 0.35 Media Player Released With PipeWire Backend, Wayland DMA-BUF Support

MPV as the popular open-source media player forked from MPlayer/mplayer2 and leveraging the FFmpeg library is out with its newest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the pipewire backend is nice but it needs to be manually triggered. at least it did anyways I actually dunno if this still holds true, the biggest feature here tho is proper DOVI tone mapping, meaning if you have single track DOVI it will be properly mapped to HDR, and from there can be tonemapped to SDR displays or play on HDR displays, well unless MPV was mapping dovi to SDR then mapping it to HDR.

EDIT: also it has HDR support on the DRM backend on linux too now, no idea if this is the new one, or the one that requires AMDVLK

EDIT2: pipewire no longer needs triggered manually
    Last edited by Quackdoc; 12 November 2022, 11:35 AM.

Comment

The native pipewire support is useful. Not that pulse doesn't usually work (it does). But a while ago I was having some issues and wanted to test if it was specific to the PA support in Pipewire.

So I looked around for something to play sound via the native api and realised I had nothing on my system that could do that. At least vlc could play via jack so I could test that. And I found something to play via alsa as well (forget what, might have been vlc too).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        the pipewire backend is nice but it needs to be manually triggered. at least it did anyways I actually dunno if this still holds true,
        https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/pull/10733 looks like it got merged that it is enabled by default.

Comment

Nice. mpv is my go to player now, as mplayer is not even shipped with most distros any more, and mpv has a lot of fixes and better interface. I usually use smplayer GUI or mpv directly.

Question to people who know. What is a story with HDR video content on Linux? Is it possible on X11 or Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
            Question to people who know. What is a story with HDR video content on Linux? Is it possible on X11 or Wayland?
            no. only via direct DRM output, dont expect wayland support for another couple years at best.

Comment

Seems that everybody is adding native PipeWire support these days, except the Firefox developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Seems that everybody is adding native PipeWire support these days, except the Firefox developers.
                give it 5 years, they might start working on it then xD

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Good riddance to pulseaudio.

Comment

I want PulseAudio to be killed ASAP, really.

Comment

Working...
                    X