Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Adds NVIDIA GPU Power Reporting, Plasma Wayland Crash Fix

Phoronix: KDE Adds NVIDIA GPU Power Reporting, Plasma Wayland Crash Fix

As KDE developers approach the holidays they have more bug fixes and features in store for their users of this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bugs after like 10 years of KDE work on wayland:
    - Plasma should no longer randomly crash when moving the cursor

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      It's not a bug that existed for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        TBH, this has happened to me on X11 session as well - while I was customizing my panel, Plasma shell crashed when I moved my cursor "in a certain way".

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

It's not a bug that existed for 10 years.
          True, but it is still a valid bug that existed ten years into development. 😁

On a more serious note, it is great to see KDE finally start making some strides forward. ​​​Now I just wish they could catch up to the Gnome QC and wayland maturity support, as it stands they are still 2 years behind and the gap is widening.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

Now I just wish they could catch up to the Gnome QC and wayland maturity support, as it stands they are still 2 years behind and the gap is widening.
            If you're talking about stability, then yes. But regarding features, there are some exceptions when KDE has some Wayland feature that Gnome still doesn't. One example is VRR support. It also seems KDE will soon get the new tearing protocol, while Gnome devs don't seem to be interested in it (at least for now).

Comment

I'm a gnome guy, but sometimes I use to start other DEs just to see what they're doing because I'm also curious. People never believe me or shout at me when I tell them KDE is way worse, I always get Plasma to crash within minutes, sometimes by just moving the mouse...

Well, here we are I guess

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

If you're talking about stability, then yes. But regarding features, there are some exceptions when KDE has some Wayland feature that Gnome still doesn't. One example is VRR support. It also seems KDE will soon get the new tearing protocol, while Gnome devs don't seem to be interested in it (at least for now).
                The devs don't care❌
                Maintaining done right✔️

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                  I'm a gnome guy, but sometimes I use to start other DEs just to see what they're doing because I'm also curious. People never believe me or shout at me when I tell them KDE is way worse, I always get Plasma to crash within minutes, sometimes by just moving the mouse...

Well, here we are I guess
                  People don't believe you because there are countless others who manage to not screw it up. It's not hard to deliberately break something, and it's also not hard to break something when trying to make it do something it wasn't built to do.
                  Reminds me of Linus from LTT legitimately trying Linux for the first time and he unintentionally completely borked his system on camera (and from what I recall, he wasn't using KDE). He wasn't doing anything particularly stupid as a newbie. When situations like that happen, there are so many possible ways you could point fingers of who should be responsible for his experience.

You don't appear to be a noob, and therefore you should know better. While there is absolutely some responsibility on the KDE devs to make it so their system can't be so easily broken by the user (at least give detailed error messages rather than just crash), I am quite confident you are the problem if it breaks that quickly and easily. Think of it like complaining about the reliability of a car when you redline it at every shift, regularly hit potholes, and pour in the wrong oil - none of that disputes whether the car really does have crappy reliability, but you're just making things way worse.
                  To give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you're using some distro with poorly maintained KDE or Qt packages (I've had many issues with LXQt because the distro used an outdated Qt version). Maybe you're using some dysfunctional GPU driver that wrongly claims to support an API call KDE uses (and perhaps other DEs don't). But whenever someone manages to screw up KDE so quickly, I always wonder what their repo configuration looks like and what packages they managed to install or remove. To fail that easily means something is straying way too far from a recommended/default configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    To fail that easily means something is straying way too far from a recommended/default configuration.
                    Well, like I said in my first comment, for me it crashed just by customizing my panel a bit. But this was right after a clean install of Kubuntu, which has one of the best KDE implementation and it's the most stable KDE experience for me. So while obscure configuration may trigger bugs or crashes, it's certainly not the main cause.

Comment

Working...
                    X