Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends In A Bunch Of New CXL Code For Linux 6.2

Phoronix: Intel Sends In A Bunch Of New CXL Code For Linux 6.2

As expected, the Linux 6.2 kernel is introducing a lot more Compute Express Link (CXL) enablement code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope CXL doesn't end up as (Serial)-RapioIO from the user point of view.
    With RapidIO there was this big drum from the beginning which then faded into dying whimpers.
    With CXL reusing the PCIe PHY layer, I hope CXL use trickles down to normal users somehow.

I'd love to see a normal GPU run over CXL even if the performance benefits are likely to be small.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      I hope CXL doesn't end up as (Serial)-RapioIO from the user point of view.
      With RapidIO there was this big drum from the beginning which then faded into dying whimpers.
      It's definitely happening. The buildup was really long, because you needed a new generation of CPUs, systems, and devices to support it. However, the dawn on the CXL era is already upon us. Genoa has it, and so will Sapphire Rapids.

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      With CXL reusing the PCIe PHY layer, I hope CXL use trickles down to normal users somehow.

I'd love to see a normal GPU run over CXL even if the performance benefits are likely to be small.
      So far, we know that AMD is talking about trickling it down to the desktop and possibly working on that with storage providers, as well.

Comment

Working...
      X