Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call Depth Tracking Coming To Linux 6.2 To Help Recover Performance On Skylake-Era CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Depth Tracking Coming To Linux 6.2 To Help Recover Performance On Skylake-Era CPUs

Phoronix: Call Depth Tracking Coming To Linux 6.2 To Help Recover Performance On Skylake-Era CPUs

The work by Intel engineers the past few months on Call Depth Tracking as a less costly mitigation for Retbleed on Skylake-era processors is now set to be merged for the Linux 6.2 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's the one nice thing about my haswell laptop: not being affected by retbleed at all. Now, it's been hit with every other speculative bug, but I get to avoid the massive perf hit that I saw on my zen1 machine.

Comment

Great!
      And one more reason why instead of 6.1 the 6.2 kernel should be the LTS one.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Great!
        And one more reason why instead of 6.1 the 6.2 kernel should be the LTS one.
        There is always "just one more thing" in the next release that one might like in the current one. However, if you want to make an actual difference, contribute, and things may be able to happen sooner. All the major organizations have open positions for qualified Linux kernel developers should you need to make it a career rather than just a spare time activity.

Comment

Working...
        X