AMD's GPUOpen Announces ADLX Library But For Now It's Windows-Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's GPUOpen Announces ADLX Library But For Now It's Windows-Only

Phoronix: AMD's GPUOpen Announces ADLX Library But For Now It's Windows-Only

AMD's GPUOpen group has announced the AMD Device Library eXtra "ADLX" software development kit intended to help improve integration with third-party software. While nice in theory, for now at least it's Windows-only...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GUys BOyCOTt nVidIA it's an EvIl COMpaNY. CoMpleTElY AntI-LInUx witH shIT sUPPorT.

BuY aMd theY aRe So gOod WitH LinUx AnD ImpeCcabLe sUppoRT.​

I hope I don't have to write /sarcasm for the Wayland fanboys. Actually I'm sure there's a 90% correlation between Wayland fanboys and the above mentality.

Comment

Though if AMD ADLX gets picked up by popular games
      Sadly, AMD will have to start doing the same dirty shit that nvidia does, like paying developers to screw up the code so it runs like shit on other brands.

Comment

Was anyone asking/waiting for this?

Comment

For me this sounds like something that is intended for hardware manufactures like MSI to develop their own GPU tuning software.
          Too bad it's Win only.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Was anyone asking/waiting for this?
          Do you mean the comments here or the library?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            For me this sounds like something that is intended for hardware manufactures like MSI to develop their own GPU tuning software.
            Too bad it's Win only.
            Hopefully it's like FSR meaning that it won't take very long for someone to port it to Linux, integrate it into Wine/Proton, and things of that nature.

Long-term I'm hoping that this will mean a cross-platform driver and game configuration tool, not just MSI Afterburner AMD Edition, since, based on AMD's descriptions, most all the stuff we'd want to tune is supported by ADLX.

​Do you mean the comments here or the library?
            Buh Dum Tish

Comment

Does Mesa have APIs for doing any of this stuff? If not, maybe it's time to add them. It would be great to have a vendor-neutral way of doing it!

Since it sounds like there are now at least 2 examples of vendor-specific implementations, it shouldn't be too hard to out most of the API details.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                Too bad it's Win only.
                That reminds me, on my win MSI laptop. I keep updating my driver, but after a while, I can't open amd control whatever. Says I installed wrong driver like wtf? I downloaded it from official amd site, maybe win update ducks things up? Should I use outdated driver from MSI site?

Pretty sure I always have my pc working with Nvidia driver. Is is that pc thing that differs with laptop? Or maybe my laptop will be fine if I don't connect it to the net like my PC does?

Sorry, I'm a bit worry about life in general rn.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

That reminds me, on my win MSI laptop. I keep updating my driver, but after a while, I can't open amd control whatever. Says I installed wrong driver like wtf? I downloaded it from official amd site, maybe win update ducks things up? Should I use outdated driver from MSI site?

Pretty sure I always have my pc working with Nvidia driver. Is is that pc thing that differs with laptop? Or maybe my laptop will be fine if I don't connect it to the net like my PC does?

Sorry, I'm a bit worry about life in general rn.
                  My RX 580 has done that before...usually once or twice a year and usually after an optional driver install/update. Luckily, for me anyways, a complete reinstall of the driver seems to fix it for a good while. I've used both DDU and the Factory Reset option of the AMD Driver wizard with success to fix that. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Sadly, AMD will have to start doing the same dirty shit that nvidia does, like paying developers to screw up the code so it runs like shit on other brands.
                    AMD has been doing that for years too. Think of all the Forza titles. For example the Vega 64 was outperforming the GTX 1080 Ti until Nvidia was able to properly optimize their drivers. Then recently with Godfall, even though it used DxR they didn’t enable ray tracing on Nvidia GPUs for months. I’m sure there are newer examples I’m missing. They did that with TessFX in Tomb Raider as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X