Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xfce 4.18 Released - Much Improved File Manager, Better HiDPI, Adaptive Vsync With GLX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.18 Released - Much Improved File Manager, Better HiDPI, Adaptive Vsync With GLX

Phoronix: Xfce 4.18 Released - Much Improved File Manager, Better HiDPI, Adaptive Vsync With GLX

After nearly two years of development the Xfce 4.18 desktop environment was released today with a wide assortment of improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Much thanks to the Xfce devs for making such a stable, yet feature full and highly configurable desktop. This is the DE I use, as well as what I recommend to new users who just want things to work straight away while still catering to their workflow and configuration choices.

Comment

Any news about Wayland?

Comment

The absolute best DE in Linux for the past decade. Yeah, both Gnome since v3 and KDE since v4.0 have been ... very controversial.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Any news about Wayland?

Check the "Old revisions" link on the right side of the page. Something is being done, slowly, maybe we'll get Wayland support in 2025.

XFCE is not sponsored by anyone unlike Gnome and KDE, so it's an actual volunteer effort and those people have families to feed.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            XFCE is not sponsored by anyone unlike Gnome and KDE, so it's an actual volunteer effort and those people have families to feed.
            I read that some parts were written by MSc students so they probably didn't have a family yet at that point.

Comment

My question to XFCE users - does it have something similar to KDE's Window Rules, where I can override individual apps' windows behavior? This is a killer feature making DE without it just unusable for me.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                The absolute best DE in Linux for the past decade. Yeah, both Gnome since v3 and KDE since v4.0 have been ... very controversial.
                What about MATE? Personally, I find it better than Xfce in a few areas. For example, it has a better window manager, different themes look way better on MATE, it has more in house apps than Xfce and unlike Xfce, MATE hasn't adopted CSD's anywhere.

Oh, and let's not forget that MATE has a bigger development team, so development pace is at least somewhat faster than Xfce.

Basically, I really don't understand why among traditional GTK DE's Xfce is so overhyped and MATE is so underrated.
                This is noticeable even among distros. For example, in Manjaro and OpenSuse, Xfce is an official flavor, while MATE is unofficial.
                Last edited by user1; 15 December 2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                  does it have something similar to KDE's Window Rules, where I can override individual apps' windows behavior?
                  Hard to tell if you're not a KDE user at the same time. What are those rules, how do windows behave normaly and how after overriding?

Comment

All header bars of Xfce windows/dialogs by default will be drawn by the Xfwm4 window manager
                    This is awesome news! The switch to client side decorations was what drove me away from Xfce...
                    I won't switch back though, because my search for a new WM brought me to the wonderful world of tiling window managers.

Comment

Working...
                    X