Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PinePhone Pro Display Support Nearing The Mainline Linux Kernel

Phoronix: PinePhone Pro Display Support Nearing The Mainline Linux Kernel

For going along with the new keyboard driver and other upstreaming efforts around the PinePhone Pro, getting the display support mainlined has been the latest effort for enhancing this $399 Linux smartphone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very happy to see that. Mainline support for the front camera is also pending: https://lore.kernel.org/all/20221106...rothemail.net/ (the back camera is already in).

Comment

hope next version will use a much powerfull cpu and more ram

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
        And all of the components drivers upstreamed before shipping..

Comment

For anyone wondering about the specs:

System on Chip (SoC)
          • Rockchip RK3399S 64bit SoC – 2x A72 and 4x A53 CPU cores @ 1.5GHz

GPU
          • ARM Mali T860 4x core GPU @ 500MHz

RAM
          • 4GB LPDDR4 @ 800MHz

Storage
          • 128GB eMMC flash storage
          • Optional micro SD card (SDXC up-to 2TB)
          ​(source: pine64.org)

Not bad, but my current phone (4x A75 + 2x A55) is starting to show its age, in a couple apps. So, I'd definitely agree that at least A76 cores would be more appealing for a new phone I'm intending to keep for at least 3 years.

TBH, I'm more interested in the software situation, than the hardware. I was pretty disappointed that the Firefox Phone project was terminated.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post

TBH, I'm more interested in the software situation, than the hardware. I was pretty disappointed that the Firefox Phone project was terminated.
            I'm not disappointed. I had Flame phone with FirefoxOS and I wasn't happy with it. It was an Anroid style OS with JS engine instead of Java. I think that with GNU/Linux distributions situation is much better - you have full control of OS and much more options.

Comment

I wanted to say they should maybe lower the prices, but with current inflation rate keeping the same numbers is defacto a price drop

Then I wanted to complain about the keyboard dock price it was 70 Dollar probably even without VAT included, but they have lowered the price to 50 dollar it seems. So yes maybe I get weak at some point. next year. But because the product suffers primary from software issues not from hardware problems the longer you wait the better the product will be

I am just so cheap and don't know if it would be a good mobile emacs netbook

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

And all of the components drivers upstreamed before shipping..
                and wait a year for no reason?
                just dont buy it if the drivers are not upstreamed and you want it upstreamed

Comment

I have the cheaper model with 3GB RAM and it's enough for web browsing. I have not noticed issues because of insufficient RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post

Not bad, but my current phone (4x A75 + 2x A55) is starting to show its age, in a couple apps. So, I'd definitely agree that at least A76 cores would be more appealing for a new phone I'm intending to keep for at least 3 years.

It really depends on how much power and upmh you really need. I'm perfectly happy with my 2020 Moto G Power with 4xA73+4xA53 equivalent. All I need out of a phone is communications, music, and running some astronomy apps, so, to me, $400 is too much because it's too much phone for my needs. I've had my phone going on 3 years, the battery lasts me 3-5 days, it does all I need, and it cost me ~$130.

I'd be much happier with a lower spec'd phone at a lower price. It'd be nice if they released something in the $170-$230 range that competes with phones like the G Power. Practical phones for regular people. Who knows if they have the ability to actually do that? It's still nice to dream.

Comment

Working...
                    X