GNU Binutils 2.40 Branched With Zstd Support, Zen 4, New Intel Instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Binutils 2.40 Branched With Zstd Support, Zen 4, New Intel Instructions

Phoronix: GNU Binutils 2.40 Branched With Zstd Support, Zen 4, New Intel Instructions

With the start of the new year also came the branching of GNU Binutils 2.40 ahead of its expected stable release around early February...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNU Gold update? I thought that was basically a dead project at this point.

Comment

Possible typo? 'objdump --dward' might be 'objdump --dwarf'

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        GNU Gold update? I thought that was basically a dead project at this point.
        Nope. You can still spot regular updates

Comment

--decomporess-debug-sections

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Nope. You can still spot regular updates
            no actualy actual inner working updates tho, seems mostly maintainance.. is it even safe to use at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

no actualy actual inner working updates tho, seems mostly maintainance.. is it even safe to use at this point?
              Yeah of course, it is not a new linker, I wouldn't expect anything other than maintenance updates at this point. If you haven't found a reason to use it yet, you probably aren't going to use it now.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

I prefer it over the regular binutils ld for pretty much everything. The memory consumption is significantly lower, which really helps when you're compiling big projects like qtwebengine.
                Failures are fairly rare these days, pretty much everything works with the gold linker out of the box.
                The main restriction still is that you can't use when compiling the Linux kernel.
                Which doesn't really bother me, but it might be the main reason why it's not the default yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Yeah of course, it is not a new linker, I wouldn't expect anything other than maintenance updates at this point. If you haven't found a reason to use it yet, you probably aren't going to use it now.
                  I have used it quiete a while ago until it stopped being supported for some reason. But with this binutils release it seems more supported again.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                    I prefer it over the regular binutils ld for pretty much everything. The memory consumption is significantly lower, which really helps when you're compiling big projects like qtwebengine.
                    Failures are fairly rare these days, pretty much everything works with the gold linker out of the box.
                    The main restriction still is that you can't use when compiling the Linux kernel.
                    Which doesn't really bother me, but it might be the main reason why it's not the default yet.
                    Its more about optimizations for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X