No announcement yet.

Red Hat Planning A Hackfest To Further Advance HDR Support On The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Planning A Hackfest To Further Advance HDR Support On The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: Red Hat Planning A Hackfest To Further Advance HDR Support On The Linux Desktop

Red Hat has been among the key Linux stakeholders working for years toward the ultimate goal of ensuring the Linux desktop will have suitable High Dynamic Range (HDR) support in place. They are working to organize a hackfest this year to further the progress being made on HDR application support on the GNOME desktop as well as associated open-source graphics driver infrastructure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great! While i really don't believe that 2023 will be the year of Linux Desktop, there will be a lot of steps for it. i'd like to thank all those companies/people for making Linux greater day by day!

Comment

I get the feeling that the Linux desktop would be more advanced if Red Had would not be so obsessed with Gnome only and not caring at all about other desktop environments.
      Interesting how everyone is invited at this event, except for the KDE developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I get the feeling that the Linux desktop would be more advanced if Red Had would not be so obsessed with Gnome only and not caring at all about other desktop environments.
        Interesting how everyone is invited at this event, except for the KDE developers.
        Yeah they'll should invited them too, but nevermind KDE Devs will reach their goals and probably KDE Plasma 6.0 will be better!

Comment

I remember that they announced a few years ago that they would be focusing resources on only the things that they ship, so I am not surprised about their GNOME obsession. If they do not ship it as part of RHEL or plan to put it in a future version of RHEL, they simply do not care. That is their company policy.

Comment

And Qt developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724

That's some "Year of the Linux Desktop" vibes
              Haha... Probably!!!!

Comment

In addition to the Red Hat folks, they are planning for other HDR and VRR developers to be present including open-source developers from NVIDIA, AMD, Intel, Endless, Canonical, Collabora, and possibly the likes of Valve as well
                Michael, actually Intel developers are potential attendees... but you missed a confirmed one in the news: Igalia.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724

That's some "Year of the Linux Desktop" vibes
                  nothing screams "year of the linux desktop" like a bunch of fanb^H^H^H^Hproponents of the One and Only Proper Solution(tm) fighting each other over who's solution is actually the proper one (hint: none), while the rest of the world races past them, shaking their heads in disbelief... or rather it would be, if it weren't so damn far ahead already.

Comment

Unlikely to Wayland get HDR this year with only 3 devs and taking care of color management too.

And we will have the infinite discussions about the protocols because Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X