OBS Studio 29 Released With AV1 Encode Additions, Upward Compression Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio 29 Released With AV1 Encode Additions, Upward Compression Filter

Phoronix: OBS Studio 29 Released With AV1 Encode Additions, Upward Compression Filter

OBS Studio 29.0 is out this weekend as the latest major feature release to this very popular, cross-platform software for screencasting and screen recording purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since I trust Khronos Group and their implementations for the Vulkan API, I am not really caring so much about the encode additions support in Linux. In due time Vulkan Video extension will support AV1 and VP9, and it will be a better way to gain support in OBS studio.
    That means the project can just relax instead of thinking about their own solution (in Linux), thus giving the developers time to fixing other bugs and such.

Comment

I had h.264 GPU encoding working with VAAPI on OBS Flatpak. After one of the last updates the support for VAAPI was broken. Now with version 29.0.0. the FFMPEG VAAPI encoder is not available anymore. I don't know if it has been removed or if it is just a problem with the flatpak runtime.

This should be fixed in my opinion. Waiting for Vulkanvideo to be supported through all the drivers and FFMPEG is not a solution. It will most likely take a lot of time until Vulkan encoding will become an option on most linuxdesktops.

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post
        I had h.264 GPU encoding working with VAAPI on OBS Flatpak. After one of the last updates the support for VAAPI was broken. Now with version 29.0.0. the FFMPEG VAAPI encoder is not available anymore. I don't know if it has been removed or if it is just a problem with the flatpak runtime.

This should be fixed in my opinion. Waiting for Vulkanvideo to be supported through all the drivers and FFMPEG is not a solution. It will most likely take a lot of time until Vulkan encoding will become an option on most linuxdesktops.
        I tried h.264 via VAAPI to a while back and it was hit and miss for me, Went back to hardware encoder. Works great in OBS.

Comment

Worked fine in 28. series. Also vaapi works fine on 29.0.0 but i not use flatpak, only compile it by myself for openmandriva cooker and rome repo.

Comment

That might be due to the kerfuffle with Mesa now not including the H264 stuff by default due to patent issues if you're on AMD graphics, to fix it running `flatpak install org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default//22.08-extra` should do the trick.

I don't have AMD graphics myself so not sure if that is indeed the issue, but I have Intel graphics and VAAPI works fine there.
            Last edited by X_m7; 08 January 2023, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing that the "Upward Compression Filter" is the standard audio "compression" filter being used in a volume normalisation role.

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

That might be due to the kerfuffle with Mesa now not including the H264 stuff by default due to patent issues if you're on AMD graphics, to fix it running `flatpak install org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default//22.08-extra` should do the trick.

I don't have AMD graphics myself so not sure if that is indeed the issue, but I have Intel graphics and VAAPI works fine there.
                That was allready installed on my system. Something else seems to be broken in my case. But thank you for the advice.

Comment

You are right that it will take time, but in the Linux world it's all about being stable (which means being implemented with good code), which means that I trust Khronos Group to do it right. So of course it will take time, it sucks but one can only work so fast for the balance of "correct implementation". It would be faster if the companies (hardware manufacture companies) provide documentaries (it's understandable why they don't) about the hardware function we want (the encoders and decoders), but they don't so the only possible thing as a user is that we can only wait (or try to understand the hardware and/or provide code ourselves).

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

You are right that it will take time, but in the Linux world it's all about being stable (which means being implemented with good code), which means that I trust Khronos Group to do it right. So of course it will take time, it sucks but one can only work so fast for the balance of "correct implementation". It would be faster if the companies (hardware manufacture companies) provide documentaries (it's understandable why they don't) about the hardware function we want (the encoders and decoders), but they don't so the only possible thing as a user is that we can only wait (or try to understand the hardware and/or provide code ourselves).
                    The hardware companies have patents protecting their IP. Documenting for the good of the product in the public should be paramount to these hardware companies. The more people able to use the purchases they bought the more they would sell when people espouse love for them. The iPod effect. These companies leave money on the table by not doing so then wonder why their products sit on the shelves of microcenter until the next big crypto algorithm makes mining feasible again.

Comment

Working...
                    X