Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Adds Intel's accel-config To Package Archive

Phoronix: Debian Adds Intel's accel-config To Package Archive

Being introduced to the Debian package archive this week is accel-config as Intel's new user-space component for configuring the DSA accelerators found with the new 4th Gen Xeon Scalable "Sapphire Rapids" processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And some very good and useful projects wait for more than 2 years to be accepted in Debian's repository and they are still not accepted:
    Hello! I just discovered this and it seems to work great on Debian 12 with latest KDE Plasma. KDiskMark version: 3.1.2 FIO version: 3.33 But the installation was not that easy. Since Debian didn't ...

But if it's from Intel, even though much less used at the moment, it's accepted immediately...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      And some very good and useful projects wait for more than 2 years to be accepted in Debian's repository and they are still not accepted:
      Hello! I just discovered this and it seems to work great on Debian 12 with latest KDE Plasma. KDiskMark version: 3.1.2 FIO version: 3.33 But the installation was not that easy. Since Debian didn't ...

But if it's from Intel, even though much less used at the moment, it's accepted immediately...
      It's accepted quickly because Intel staffed people to work on it and they are involved as package maintainers and reviewers. No surprise there.

Comment

Debian is a (mostly) volunteer project. If you want something done quickly, do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It's accepted quickly because Intel staffed people to work on it and they are involved as package maintainers and reviewers. No surprise there.
          Yes, that certainly helps.

I smell that Debian wants to position itself favorably as an enterprise-level linux distro - similar to RedHat. Supporting enterprise-class hardware out of the box with these software packages would make a great point in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

Debian is a (mostly) volunteer project. If you want something done quickly, do it yourself.
            And what, in KDiskMark's case the developer asked for its program to be accepted in Debian's repository, would not want to also be the maintainer for its program?
            I think there's a high chance he would want to do that if he's allowed.
            From what I see on the project's first page, the programs is available as PPA, Flatpak, Snap and in many other repositories from which the developer himself might be a maintainer:

So, in my opinion, if he's let to be a maintainer for its program for Debian, he will most likely do it.
            I not sure the volunteer missing is the main problem here.

Comment

And what, in KDiskMark's case the developer asked for its program to be accepted in Debian's repository, would not want to also be the maintainer for its program?
              I think there's a high chance he would want to do that if he's allowed
              What do you mean allowed? He or you doesn't need anyone's permission to file a package review request and follow the guidelines.

Comment

What do you mean allowed? He or you doesn't need anyone's permission to file a package review request and follow the guidelines.
                Well, he did file an ITP (Intent to Package), so he did "follow the guidelines".

I guess a GUI for FIO doesn't "hit the bells" for inclusion. Debian is mostly a Linux distro for servers, not for end users.

Comment

Originally posted by malakudi View Post

Well, he did file an ITP (Intent to Package), so he did "follow the guidelines".
                  ITP is just one step. After that you need a sponsor.

Comment

https://github.com/JonMagon/KDiskMark/issues/110
                    As also mentioned by RahulSundaram, unfortunately the maintainer wasn't aware that the process is a bit more involved. I left a comment on the linked issue that explains what still needs to be done, and you can take a look if you're interested, but in short, yeah, you need a sponsor/mentor.

Comment

Working...
                    X