Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Developers Eye Orphaning The JFS File-System

Phoronix: Linux Developers Eye Orphaning The JFS File-System

Following the Linux kernel deprecating the ReiserFS file-system and with plans to drop the kernel driver in 2025, the next file-system target being evaluated for whether it should stick around the kernel is the Journaled File-System, JFS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The link to this comment thread is broken.

Comment

I used JFS for a bit a couple of decades ago. It was particularly good on machines with low resources. These days that's simply not a concern, with better alternatives for small flash systems.

Comment

Aww. While I wouldn't blame them for dropping it, I have found it works very well on my Amiga 1200 running off a CompactFlash card. I tried F2FS, but it took hours to fsck, which it insisted on doing every time the kernel version changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          Aww. While I wouldn't blame them for dropping it, I have found it works very well on my Amiga 1200 running off a CompactFlash card. I tried F2FS, but it took hours to fsck, which it insisted on doing every time the kernel version changed.
          better git them to add systemd_ to it so it will be loved instead: systemd_JFS

Comment

What a funny name, JFS. I mean, is there any file system post-ext2 that's not journaled?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              What a funny name, JFS. I mean, is there any file system post-ext2 that's not journaled?
              It's older than ext2.

Comment

The first-gen JFS came out for AIX in 1990, when Journalling was new. Meaning it pre-dates Linux. In the late 90's it was re-written for OS/2 as the second-gen JFS (and back-ported to AIX) where it was meant to replace HPFS (High Performance FileSystem), which was not journalled and could take hours to fsck. HPFS was also limited to just 2GB file-sizes. And worse, IBM had to continue paying MS to license the NTFS386 version.

Comment

Pedantically ZFS isn't journalled. It is instead a transactional filesystem (but obviously achieves a similar (and more) effect).

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01...461/zfsover-2/

Comment

btrfs, ZFS? Journaling technically isn't needed for copy-on-write file systems AFAIK, but then again, btrfs lets you disable CoW so I guess it might have some sort of journal after all, for when it's needed? I don't know. Not an expert. Maybe someone else can explain

Comment

Working...
                    X